Having the Hog Reg serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warranty work would be done by an authorized dealer with genuine parts. And as stated the work they did was not done with HOG parts and they did not know the specs required for the 5th port. And yes they would have to charge for the work, but why should you have to pay for something that you otherwise would not need to?

Jim - Is Edge/HOG covering the cost of parts & labor for warranty work? If so, that may be a first as I have never seen labor covered by a scuba manufacturer. Heck, I have seen retailers who refused to do CPSC recall work because they would not be payed for the labor.

If I get the cold water 1st, what should I get the D1 or D2? And, what is the difference between the two other than the cracking pressure?

Cracking pressure is set in the second stage not the first. The difference between the D1 and D2 is that the D2 does not have the turret or the 5th port. It also is the black finish rather than the trivalent chrome. I like the turret and 5th port on mine for hose routing with doubles. Single tank is not that big of a deal even though I like the way it routes the long hose there as well. Both are good solid regs. You just need to evaluate your needs for the different features. If you like call me after 4PM EST (my bosses don't like me taking my own business calls on their time- I know damn ignorant of them considering what they pay me). I will be happy to go over all your options and why I suggest the reg I do based on your needs and future needs. Number is on my website at Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

Be happy to work with you and provide the answers to your questions.

Thanks Jim. I know those damn bosses, just can't leave well enough alone.:wink:

I would like to get our HOG's serviced. Purchased from DRIS. Who do you recommend? We don't have any issue with shipping.

blue steal, I am having mine done right now by Robert Stark at Reef Seekers. I had to get the rebuild kit from DRIS, but then I just brought it to him in Westchester, just North of LAX.

Since these guys are independent techs and do not seem to be an auth dealer, would they not charge for fixes?? If something is covered under warrenty, would they be paid for the work via Edge??? Just trying to figure this out, not start a war. If not paid via Edge, then they would have to charge for any work, warrenty or not. True???

IMHO, given that they are not a EDGE dealer and that the problem presented was on a new reg, and they don't have parts for HOG regs, the ethical thing to do is infoem the customer that it should be a warranty repair and point the consumer to the nearest EDGE/HOG dealer. Not accept the reg, do a repair using other brands parts and not knowing some important factors.

Jim - Is Edge/HOG covering the cost of parts & labor for warranty work? If so, that may be a first as I have never seen labor covered by a scuba manufacturer. Heck, I have seen retailers who refused to do CPSC recall work because they would not be payed for the labor.

EDGE recommends that users have their regulator inspected every year by a qualified service tech and serviced every two years. If during the initial two years after purchase a service part fails EDGE will provide the replacement part free of charge and will certainly install it free of charge as well if sent to us.

A dealer that refuses to do any warranty or recall service work isn't much of a dealer. Well I certainly would not want to overly burden them the reality is they (dealers) make a profit selling the product. Simple processes like tuning at sale, adjusting after a few dives or changing out a seat that fails prematurely takes only minutes and is good customer service.

I am happy to provide whatever support I can to HOG/edge users. Whether you bought it from me or not. Because I learned a long time ago from my grandfather that the customer you treat well will likely come back. Whether or not he/she was yours to begin with.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

IMHO, given that they are not a EDGE dealer and that the problem presented was on a new reg, and they don't have parts for HOG regs, the ethical thing to do is infoem the customer that it should be a warranty repair and point the consumer to the nearest EDGE/HOG dealer. Not accept the reg, do a repair using other brands parts and not knowing some important factors.

Chris:

Point well taken.

I was wondering somewhat the same thing, but after reading these posts I'm not sure I get it:depressed:

I am looking at buying the EDGE Epic Regs from Jim, but trying to get this whole service thing figured out beforehand... Today I went to my LDS and talked to the technician regarding servicing EDGE regs. He didn't know what they were and was a little hesitant, but when I told him that you can get the replacement parts kit for them he said he is pretty sure he could do it. They are not an authorized EDGE/HOG dealer will that be an issue? My questions are:

Does that mean that I have to buy the kit and bring it to the shop for installation, or does that mean the shop can get the kit and install the parts for me?

Say that I was getting something fixed that was under warranty, how exactly would that work? Would I pay and then EDGE refunds me? Or do I only have to cover the labor cost if I prove to the technician that the product is under warranty?

And lastly, this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between overhauling a reg, servicing one, and inspecting one? It seems like these phrases are often thrown around, and I'm not sure I can distinguish between them...:)

I am (obviously) a newbie to the sport but this would really help! Thanks in advance:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom