Hayfever & Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BartBe

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've got a little question...? I'm thinking of taking on Scuba Diving but i've got hayfever. Springtime i get the sneezing, watery eyes and all that kind of stuff...;-0
Is this going to prevent me medicaly from doing scuba diving or not... ?
Please tell me it isn't :)

Bart

Bart,
I have mild allergies and have had several sinus barotrauma's - from what my Dr. feels is congestion, etc. which has resulted in relearning proper equalization techniques, early and repeated clearing and an oral decongestant prior to diving...

He prescribed Nascort AQ (similar to Flonase) for my symptoms and to assist in keeping the nasal passages clear and congestion. The allergies tend to make my ears want to attract fluid, it seems.

This has been MY experience, yours may be totally different. Next step is a ENT if symptoms persist...

Good luck...

It hasn't stopped me either.....seems like when I am not breathing pollen through my nose i.e. underwater with my nose in a mask....I don't sneeze and even know I still get a stuffy nose while diving never really bothered me much.
Rob

Sometimes I get wicked allergies. My doc says I can dive as long as I can equalize the pressure in my ears. I have always been able to. The only time I had constant trouble equalizing is when I had an ols mask with a purge valve. When I upgraded my mask with no purge valve it made equalizing so much easier.

I've had allergies since childhood. When diving during allergy season (or if I'm affected at the destination), I take Zyrtec D in the evening, and then in the AM I take 2 psuedaphedrine (30 mg each). So far I've had no problems. My husband has bad sinuses and takes Sudafed and uses Afrin on the boat if he needs it. Our doctor has said both options are fine.

Since everyone reacts differently to medications, even OTC ones, I'd go to the doctor and see what their advise is before you start self medicating.

I have allergies (to anything green) and sinus problems. Diving seems to clear out the sinus'.
I am cautious and careful to equalize often. I only seem to have problems on very shallow dives, under 25 ft or so.

Good luck,
dd

Bart, as you can see, many people dive with allergies. The main issues are whether you can equalize pressure in your air spaces, i.e., middle ears and sinuses. You may need to use one or a combination of antihistamines, decongestants, topical steroids (e.g. Flonase, etc.), to allow this.
You'll learn how to equalize ears in class and pool sessions. That is an active process for almost all divers, but you can't really do the same for your sinuses--either they'll equalize, or not, and you can't make it happen like you can with your ears. I've had students who could clear their ears, but had sinus "squeezes" (pain from unequal pressure between the air space and surrounding tissue, which is the same as the water, increasing with depth) which prevented them from doing the dive.
Check out http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html and DAN's website http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/index.asp

Good luck and good diving.

Hello,

I have serious allergies. I'm going to start taking shots latter this year for them. I have had to abort/cancel several dives due to problems that came up. I try to dive when there's no congestion and when not taking allergy rx. It's definately a pain in my you know what to work around this but it's safe. Also note that some medications increase o2 tox risk when diving with nitrox.

To date I have had 1 revese squeese and we're not going there ever again. It was painful and I learned my lessons the hard way.

Ed

Blacknet,

Allergy Shots are the way to go. I grew up in Florida and had allergies for many years. When I moved away, the allergies disappeared. When I moved back, the allergies reappeared. I have been on allergy shots and Zirtec for about 6 months now and my quality of life has improved tremendously.

Previously, I couldn't be around a cat for 5 mins without uncontrollable wheezing and sneezing. Now, I have an indoor cat at the house.

The shots are worth the effort and expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom