Hazardous Freshwater Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beware any body of water where divers regularly feed the fish, especially when there aren't many divers around. Just ask Wrecncaver about her trout bite! That sucker drew bloodwhen he bit through her glove! She was bitten not once but TWICE! Evidently fish saliva (do they have saliva?) contains nasties that can give you quite an infection so if you're bitten, clean the wound well.

Remember, hoods keep the KY pirahna off of your ears but only a full face mask can keep them from nibbling on your lips!
Ber :bunny:

Noodlefish once bubbled...
... presumably you get giardia and other nasties.

I can't speak for the other nasties - but in Ontario, giardia can make you very sick with what is known as "beaver fever". It is usually associated with beaver polluted water so I would think that it is more of a threat in shallow water and not in the deeper lakes - as well you have to ingest it.....

Ive been looking for this picture for a while now, and here it is!!

The Ky Pirahna

Walter was correct... marine life, by definition, are not generally found in freshwater. Some species which are born in fresh water, spend most of their lives in the sea and return to fresh water to spawn are called anadramous.

Of course there are marine species which can spend some time in freshwater, like the great white and bull sharks that swim up rivers. And then there's the case of the freshwater sharks in South America.

The only dangerous Marine life one might encounter in freshwater is one trained like a Navy Seal... and then they are usually only dangerouos if you are Saddam Hussein or one of the other 51 cards in the deck.

Dr. Bill

Ontario Diver once bubbled...

I can't speak for the other nasties - but in Ontario, giardia can make you very sick with what is known as "beaver fever". It is usually associated with beaver polluted water so I would think that it is more of a threat in shallow water and not in the deeper lakes - as well you have to ingest it.....

that someone from FSU would point out the noble gator as fauna to be respected while enjoying yourself in our pristine waters... :tease: Gators are nature's protectors, keeping certain local tribes humble through their awesome power, endurance and cunning. Of course, we got alligator snapping turtles, Moccassins, Copperheads and our private collection of crocs that we keep south of the glades. Send mo' tourists! The last ones tasted GREAT!!! :tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom