Head Coverings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serious conversation. How do y'all keep the sun off your heads while on the surface of a dive.

ok. then i guess my question is.....why would you be on the surface so long that this is a problem ? i have traveled a lot to warmer climates and although i always have a hat on, i have never even considered wearing a head covering when i am diving.

they only thing i have seen some men do is tie a bandana on their head. this was also done by women to keep their hair out of the way.

ok. then i guess my question is.....why would you be on the surface so long that this is a problem ? i have traveled a lot to warmer climates and although i always have a hat on, i have never even considered wearing a head covering when i am diving.

they only thing i have seen some men do is tie a bandana on their head. this was also done by women to keep their hair out of the way.

I travel the world to dive and have seen many men protecting their skulls with bike type bandana, some made specifically for divers (see Scap) or even wearing a beanie type of hood.

Most commonly I have seen, as said already, bandanas or thin hoods.
I also know a DM/instructor that dives with a common old baseball cap, in and out of the water. He might just put it in his bcd or hold it in his hand during the backroll entry.

I use to be that way. But am now noticing that I am getting more sun on my head than I have in the past. My brother just had a small spot of skin cancer removed from his head. So, I want to protect myself as much as possible. No matter how much time I am spending on the surface.

Looking for suggestions on a head covering to dive in. I am going to the Keys in about 3 weeks, and am lacking in hair to keep my head from getting too much sun. I do use reef safe sunblock, but would also like a secondary layer of protection. I use a long sleeve rash guard for my arms and sunscreen. So, looking for same sort of sun protection for my head. Any suggestions?
Are you referring to while diving (and floating on the surface) or during setup/surface interval? Or one item that works for both?

Erik

Are you referring to while diving (and floating on the surface) or during setup/surface interval? Or one item that works for both?

Erik

All of the above. Basically soon as I leave the hotel room to when we get back possibly.

Back
Top Bottom