Head Coverings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for suggestions on a head covering to dive in. I am going to the Keys in about 3 weeks, and am lacking in hair to keep my head from getting too much sun. I do use reef safe sunblock, but would also like a secondary layer of protection. I use a long sleeve rash guard for my arms and sunscreen. So, looking for same sort of sun protection for my head. Any suggestions?

I love dakine for their surf hats. I have one that really covers my ears that I've worn a long while, but it's black (faded) and I hate black as I feel it scares the fish. So this is my new dive hat, which has only seen a pool so far! Unlike my other Dakine, the chin strap on this one is really, really thin... like a piece of cord. The bill has been stiffened so it won't flop over your mask during the dive.

upload_2021-6-27_8-30-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-27_8-28-27.png
    upload_2021-6-27_8-28-27.png
    780.9 KB · Views: 61
I actually got one after I rescued another instructor's student in the Keys over ten years ago. They were being swept away from the boat, so I got them and towed them back. I usually pop up just astern of the boat and boy were my ears sunburned during that trek. Not many divers wear hats either, so the boat staff knows it's me whenever I surface. I've rescued a number of divers since, and every time I'm glad I wore my hat.

Chairman and Valyngar, I assume y'all use the Coolnets while you dive?

just woke up. had a bit to drink last night so i am a bit foggy. i am trying to figure out whether this is actually a serious conversation or an inside joke. :)

Serious conversation. How do y'all keep the sun off your heads while on the surface of a dive. But would also need to be able to drive with it on. I like the Coolnets idea, but am wondering how they work with your mask on also. I am going to be spending a lot of time in the sun in a few weeks in the Keys, and would like to see what other do to keep sun off their heads while on surface and doing shallow reef dives.

Back
Top Bottom