Head Coverings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone posted the obvious answer yet?

dive beanie hood - Google image search

my wife uses the xs scuba one with the chin strap. but this is mostly to keep her hair under control. she seems to feel it helps to keep her warmer as well. whether that is true or not, she is more comfy with it than without it.

All of the above. Basically soon as I leave the hotel room to when we get back possibly.
Then I would say either the bandana idea or some of the knit cap style beanies that @lowwall linked to. Given the time of year, the bandana might be cooler, but I knew a guy who would dive all summer with a billed version of the beanies and wore it topside for added sun protection. I switch over from a upf hat to either a hood or no cover but am rethinking that. Especially for drift dives where you might be waiting awhile for pickup.

I wear a SaltLife ball cap with flaps to cover ears and the back of the neck. I was helping with a rescue course and we spent a lot of time on the surface so the next day I bought a lycra hood. I only use it on the surface and then pull it down around my neck right before we pull the plug to submerge.

On my one tropical dive trip I used a swimmer's cap. Pulled it over my ears and it had the same effect as my hood for keeping water from sloshing far into my ears.
I wasn't thinking about sun protection on the surface, and I have very fair skin. As mentioned, I don't think you're on the surface that long anyway. I had another sombrero-like hat for on the boat.

Lycra Rashguard Hood

Very light weight and can be worn out of the water as well. On the boat you can wear a hat over it to protect your face further.

rashguard-blue-green-hood__94070.1623278136.jpg

I have heard good things about Scuba Do Rags but have never used one.

I just wear a cheap boonie cap. They pack down small, and are pretty durable.

I have heard good things about Scuba Do Rags but have never used one.

I have a couple of Scuba Do Rags and also the Scap (already mentioned above). It's been so long since I did an ocean dive I am unsure which I preferred. I THINK it may have been the Scap, as the Scuba Do Rag tended to not want to stay put on my bald noggin, if I recall. The Scap has a strip of small rubber dots that contacts the forehead for friction.

Thanks for the thread, because it reminds me I will need to dig out these things from my dive locker. Going to see some ocean in August. Woo hoo!

Back
Top Bottom