Head hits the 1st stage with Halcyon BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spike_Digger

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently bought a Halcyon BP with an Eclipse 30lb wing. My problem is that when I tip my head back, my head hits the first stage. It's really annoying. Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, what have you done to correct it? I talked to multiple shops that said they have sold tons of these BP/W's, and have not heard of this problem. I'm puzzled as to why I'm having this issue, and nobody else seems to have it.

First, a little background info:
* I had my rig set up and double-checked by an experienced DIR-F instructor, so I believe everything is correctly assembled.
* I have the BP mounted as high on the tank as the upper tank strap will permit.
* I'm 6'3" and a fairly thin 190 lbs. I suppose if I had more flesh on my back, it would push the BP further from my spine, and give my head more clearance? There must be other divers out there with a similar body type, though?!
* I have a very large head/hat size, but I can't believe that alone is causing my issue.
* The single tank adapter that I'm using is the one on the left towards the bottom of this page: http://www.halcyon.net/mc/harness.shtml . The spacing between the holes is a standard 11", and the straps are 8 1/2" apart (center-center).

The best I've been able to do is to make the shoulder straps very loose, and the crotch strap very tight, to force the entire rig to ride as low on my back as possible. If I do that, then my head only hits if I tip it all the way back (still annoying, though!)

Another thought is I may put slits in the wing cover, to allow me to use the tank strap slots that are integrated into the backplate (similar to the old Halycon Pioneer design.) These slots are spaced closer together, which would allow me to position the BP higher on the tank. I previously dove a Pioneer, and had no issues with it, so I'm almost certain this would work, but I'm not excited about taking a knife to my brand new wing.

My final thought is that maybe I'm just high maintenance, and I'm making a fuss about something that everybody else just deals with. If you tip your head back, like you might do if you were scanning the surface for a boat while in a horizontal position, does your head hit the first stage?

Attachments

• weighted_sta-comparison.jpeg
    weighted_sta-comparison.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 260
Would raising or lowering your tank help at all? Leave your straps as they are but adjust the tank height in the cam bands, that will probably fix the issue.

Brent

My first ? would be what type of first stage are you using . First stages life a Sherwood stick out way to far for comfort others like Poseidin ,zeagle etc that go into the side of a first stage are a lot lower profile than those that go in the end . also Din is also lower profile then yoke in most cases.

So what r u using ?

I have the same setup/sta and have found that I have to place the top tank strap right on the shoulder of the tank. If you are using a swivel turret 1st stage, make sure it is pointing down, not up. If still a problem banging your head you can take the STA to a machine shop and have them cut new 2" slots for the top band 3 or 4 inches below the existing ones.

BassDean

As a few others have said, what 1st stage you're using is important for us to know. As well as whether it's a DIN or Yoke. I have an Aqua Lung Legend DIN, but when I use it with the Apeks DIN-to-Yoke adapter it hits me in the head. I did several things. First, I switched to the Dive Rite DIN-to-Yoke adapter. It's a good 3/4" shorter. Also, I "flipped" my 1st stage over. I swapped the side my hoses were attached so that I could mount the 1st stage facing down, not up. This is a common problem with the Legend. Last, remember that you can angle the 1st stage a bit so that it isn't pointed directly at the back of your head but off to the side. Just rotate the BP a bit when you mount it on the tank.

EDIT: made several grammatical corrections so that my post is actually understandable!

In a wetsuit, with an AL80, using an Aqualung Titan LX regulator, my head hits the first stage. At the end of a few days of diving, I have a sore spot on my scalp from it. If I use my hooded vest, it doesn't bother me.

In my drysuit, I have my head rammed up against the first stage most of the time, but with the thick hood I use, I rarely even notice!

I have limited experience with all things DIR but as far as my understanding goes your head should knock into the first stage with a singles setup, the idea being that with this positioning, should you need to shut down your air flow your tank valve will easily accessible. In my singles setup (oxycheque 30lb signature) my head hits the first stage and with my twins (Halcyon evolve) my head sits right between the first stages.

Its really just a matter of learning to dive with it - try to get your trim so that you're perfectly horizontal (easier said than done, I know) and look straight ahead. You'll find that you have to roll your head between your shoulders, kind of like a turtle. Give that a go for a few dives and see how it works out for you, your DIR-F instructor should be able to give you better help than I can.

Spike_Digger:
I recently bought a Halcyon BP with an Eclipse 30lb wing. My problem is that when I tip my head back, my head hits the first stage.

Simple fix, just rotate your tank a little. Turn it so the valve handle is about 20 degrees closer to you. That will swing the first stage off center to the left. Check your hose routing.

There is an element of "just get used to it" I you choose to dive doubles you'll need to get comfortable with the back of your head contacting the manifold.

Good luck,

Tobin

Thanks, everybody! That's some great feedback. Here are replies to several of your questions.

hunter991:
Would raising or lowering your tank help at all? Leave your straps as they are but adjust the tank height in the cam bands, that will probably fix the issue.

Brent
When I mentioned that I have the BP mounted as high on the tank as the upper tank strap will permit, I meant that I have the upper cam band 1/2" past the shoulder on the tank. It doesn't look very streamlined or secure, and my head still hits the 1st stage, so I don't think that is the solution for me.

NorthernShrinkage:
My first ? would be what type of first stage are you using .
Oops, I meant to include that info in my original post. I have a Scubapro MK25 (yoke). It's fairly common, I imagine a lot of readers are familiar with it. Here's a picture of it: http://www.scubapro.com/prod/erog/erogatori/MK25S600/MK25S600.htm

BassDean:
I have the same setup/sta and have found that I have to place the top tank strap right on the shoulder of the tank. If you are using a swivel turret 1st stage, make sure it is pointing down, not up. If still a problem banging your head you can take the STA to a machine shop and have them cut new 2" slots for the top band 3 or 4 inches below the existing ones.

BassDean
I do have it pointing down, thanks for checking. I actually went to a machine shop a couple weeks ago, and discussed having slots cut. That may be the solution for me, but I wanted to exhaust other possibilities before machining. Not being a mechanical type, I was paranoid about doing this, but I guess I shouldn't be. I also considered drilling a couple extra holes in the BP to move the mounting point for the STA down. This would also move the wing by the same amount, and not being sure what this would do to my trim, I held off on doing that.

Divin'Hoosier:
Last, remember that you can angle the 1st stage a bit so that it isn't pointed directly at the back of your head but off to the side. Just rotate the BP a bit when you mount it on the tank.
Thanks! You and another poster both mentioned this simple step, and I'm eager to try it before modifying my setup.

TSandM:
In a wetsuit, with an AL80, using an Aqualung Titan LX regulator, my head hits the first stage. At the end of a few days of diving, I have a sore spot on my scalp from it. If I use my hooded vest, it doesn't bother me.

In my drysuit, I have my head rammed up against the first stage most of the time, but with the thick hood I use, I rarely even notice!
Thanks for sharing this, TSandM. I was getting frustrated thinking that this was something that only happens to me. I dive in tropical waters with a thin hood, and it only takes a few bumps to develop a sore spot on my head.

S. starfish:
I have limited experience with all things DIR but as far as my understanding goes your head should knock into the first stage with a singles setup, the idea being that with this positioning, should you need to shut down your air flow your tank valve will easily accessible.
Yeah, it may be a personal preference thing. I previously dove a Halcyon Pioneer, which had more adjustability regarding tank height, and I liked having the tank sit lower, so that I could crane my head around without touching anything. To reach the tank valve, I would need to lift up the bottom of the tank with my left hand. That may not be DIR, but I thought it was ok for the type of diving that I do.

cool_hardware52:
There is an element of "just get used to it"
That's what I was afraid would be the answer. Thanks for the suggestion about rotating the tank 20 degrees. I'll give that a try the next time I'm in the pool!

Another option that I've seen............you don't need both straps to hold your tank, just use the bottom one.

I've gotten used to my head resting against the first stage. I like using both straps.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom