Headaches while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great information. The head aches usually occur about 15 - 20 min in to the dive. The pain is strongest at the top and back of his head so I don't think it is sinus related. This guy is in amazing shape works out everyday. I don't know about the hydration I will ask.

B.

Doesn't mean anything in the water. Even the best cardio runner will take a CO2 hit if they're flailing or constantly hauling tail at depth on scuba.
I hope it is CO2 retention for your buddy. You can fix these sorts of things pretty easily, all it takes is an eye opener and a willing diver :wink:

i found that as i dove more and relaxed more and learned to breathe deeper and smoother, my headaches became non-existent ... i also noticed a difference when i started side mounting and took the weight of double 130s off my shoulders. i would bet (as some have mentioned already) that its CO2 ... "breathe deep" my friend ... shady also mentioned a richer mix which seemed to work for me as well ... but it also more than doubles the cost of fills in our area... but, scuba aint cheap right?
dive safe!

slow the breathing down...slow and deep. in & out

Like just about everyone else here, I'm voting for CO2 retention. However, just on the off-hand chance, let me also suggest something else. I've known a few divers who complained of headaches during dives, but they had lingering pains afterwards...in their backs and necks. Turns our that the "unusual" positioning in the water (horizontal, yet looking forward...if effect, looking "up" relative to the spine and neck) was putting strain on muscles all along the spine. They were also fairly new divers, so they were diving "tense". They developed headaches about midway through their dives and had soreness the next day. Some of them reported the problem went away when they initiated excercise regimens designed to maintain their necks and backs and made a conscious effort to dive more relaxed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom