Headbanging with my Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH

Registered
Reaction score
As per previous posts, after much deliberation I bought a TPII with travel wing, Scubapro MK25 & S600, AIR2 and an air-integrated computer.

My wife "persuaded" me to take the family away for a week in Grenada so I could test out the equipment in waters I knew pretty well - How thoughtful !!

This configuration was absolutely brilliant for what I use it for - warm water recreational diving. Light, huge amount of freedom, nothing dangling on the coral.

Only one problem my 1st stage prevented me from looking forward ! I cured this to a large extent by moving the tank as far back as it would go in the cambands and loosening my shoulder straps as far as they would go. On dry land this was perfect – crutch, waist and shoulder straps nice and snug unable to bang my head no matter what I did.

But as soon as I got into the water the shoulder straps seems to have about an 1” of play in them. If I tightened the straps my head touched my 1st stage when I looked forward.

Any (sensible) suggestions ?

Also Leadwieght – after trying to use a weight belt I decided to buy some pockets. Luckily the London Dive Show was on this week end so I was able to look at most if not all of the types available. Like you I chose the Halcyon ACB 20 (wasn’t so lucky as you on price £110 $170 !!). How have you attached them taking into account the metal bracket which joins the shoulder straps to the waist band ?

Thank you

Ian

I hope that I did not give the wrong impression at to my weight system, but I am using Halcyon trim weight pockets. I paid $21 in 2002, but those crafty guys have since raised the price to $46. These hold up to 5 pounds each. I just slipped them on the waist belt and use some plastic weight keepers to hold them in place. I used to have one on the upper camband, but discovered that it is possible to put weights directly on the camband with little trouble.

In setting up my harness I did not move the plates that attach the shoulder straps all the way back. There is about 2" on each side. this does allow the harness to sit slightly lower.

In addition to mounting the tank as low as it will go, I affix the belt beneath my er um gut (beer belly?). That seems to hold things down and may avoid having the straps come loose. This will not work if you are very lean. You could also try a crotch strap to keep the BC from riding up, but I am not wild about those.

Scubapro regulators as they come out of the box are (or used to be) set up so that the low pressure ports were on the top of the regulator. If this is the case with your reg, reposition the hoses so that you can flip the reg and have the low pressure ports on the bottom. That will provide more head clearance.

This may also seem strange, but the way that you bend your neck to look forward makes a difference too. You can bend at the top of the neck or at the bottom. If you bend at the bottom, your head will hit the reg. I have noticed on some dives I hit my head and others I do not. I think this is where the difference is.

This problem is common to all BC's that utilize two tank bands. I wonder what others have tried.

I thought of one more trick. When mounting your tank to the BC, do not have the outlet of the tank pointing straight at you. Have it point somewhat to the right side, while looking at the BC.

This tends to move the reg back slightly and if the HP hose is on the top right as you look at it, it will move the HP hose away from your head.

If I can touch the reg with the back of my head I know I can get to the valve.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If I can touch the reg with the back of my head I know I can get to the valve.

other members of this forum.

Thanks

Thanks LW

Scubapro reg - Thanks I sorted this out in the LDS pool and got them to change it before I went to Grenanda.

Mounting the tank with offset outlet – that’s a good one and really helps – it was suggested by the instructor at the Dive shop in Grenada.

I have my straps set right back and will try moving them forward as you suggest. I looked at small pouches (incl the Dive-rite ones) but wanted something that could ditch weight more easily in an emergency. So I swallowed hard and spent the money on the Halcyon system.

I too have a bit of a beer problem (its not a problem I just like beer) but when diving with a weight belt it was difficult to get the TPII waist band low enough. I'm hoping the integrated weight system will help.

I already have a crotch strap but it seems to pull the waist belt down rather hold the back of the TPII in place - again maybe this problem will be alleviated by the integrated weights.

Thanks Mike

I can reach further back than my head so I would rather mount the tank where it doesn’t touch my head – giving me the widest field of comfortable vision but still be able to reach the tank valve.

Ian

I like the solidity of the Scubapro style tank bands but figure I only really needed one so I bought it and put it on the top. Kind of like my old Scubapro BC (which has the hard plastic back).

But then I too had the head banging problem with the TP II.

To remove the problem I need to get the top band so high that it will slip off if I tug on it. So I moved the Scubapro band to be the lower one. I figure that's the one that will keep the tank from slipping. Now because it's so high, the top band is only to keep the tank from moving around and doesn't really need to be super solid.

Everything is fine now.

BTW, I've got the arm straps pretty snug. Since I'm skinny and don't have a "gut" to keep the pack down :wink: I do find the crotch strap helpful. In another thread I asked if it's better to have this strap over or under the weight belt. Seems there are advantages of each safety wise. Comfort wise though, for me, it's better over the weight belt.

For me, the headbanging is only an occasional problem. Every now and then the harness rides up. I pull it down and everything is cool.

DD,

How is it that you can get the tank lower using a standard camband rather than a hinged SP style camband? I have two of the hinged cambands.

The standard cam doesn't allow me to get the tank any lower than a hinged band.

It's just that I only bought one replacement hinged band rather than two figuring I only need the extra grip (and resistance to band stretching when wet) with one band.

So I put the hinged band down low because up high it might slip over the top of the tank. The low band provides the grip on the tank. The high one keeps the tank from moving back and forth but wouldn't keep the tank in by itself. So I snug the cam down to be secure but don't bother to make it really tight.

DolphinDiver once bubbled...
The standard cam doesn't allow me to get the tank any lower than a hinged band.

It's just that I only bought one replacement hinged band rather than two figuring I only need the extra grip (and resistance to band stretching when wet) with one band.

So I put the hinged band down low because up high it might slip over the top of the tank. The low band provides the grip on the tank. The high one keeps the tank from moving back and forth but wouldn't keep the tank in by itself. So I snug the cam down to be secure but don't bother to make it really tight.

I sort of have the same approach. I use the top cam band for trim weights and on the bottom one I have the rubber thingie to give it an extra good grip. However, I have not found it necessary to push the top band so high that I can pull it off the crown of the tank.

I will be diving this Sunday & will no doubt be playing around with this stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom