Headed to Nassau in 3 weeks - Dive recommendations ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The info in the thread holds accurate.
1. Stuart Coves is generally most enjoyed.
2. Bahama Divers is smaller and more laid back. Less wrecks, but has the Rose island blue hole for an extra $20.(won't let you passed 80' tho)
3. Custom Aquatics are a little off the beaten track and more bespoked.
4. Paradise Charters (who, it transpires, are based in Sandy Port) only really seem interested in cruise ship custom.
I'd vote for Coves. But it can get very busy! What time of year you looking at Mr King?

My 2psi - I've dived from Nassau many times in the last 15 years or so. Last time I used Bahama Divers for their trips out to Rose Island, and if I recall, Atholl(sp) Island. I did The Lost Blue Hole the first time in 93 with Chris Cate's outfit. Last time I did The Marinda and a couple shallow reef dives with BD and took the bus to Cove's for dives on their end of the island.

YMMV

DC

Going to Nassau in June, hence, please post your comments and suggestions on dive operators there. We are intersted in a few wreck dives and also the blue hole.

Thanks
mtroadking

Ah! just read you're other post.
South west for wrecks, north east for the blue hole. (There are inland blue holes, PM me for details. No Rec diver would look at them, no dive company touches them.)
There are a few good wreck sites to the north east just less of'em. (ship yard, de la salle, mahony)
SW means Coves. NW means BD's. That's pretty much it really.
Good luck!

Last edited:
The info in the thread holds accurate.
1. Stuart Coves is generally most enjoyed.
2. Bahama Divers is smaller and more laid back. Less wrecks, but has the Rose island blue hole for an extra $20.(won't let you passed 80' tho)
3. Custom Aquatics are a little off the beaten track and more bespoked.
4. Paradise Charters (who, it transpires, are based in Sandy Port) only really seem interested in cruise ship custom.
I'd vote for Coves. But it can get very busy! What time of year you looking at Mr King?
Going June 13 - June 20th. Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have had them tell me the second dive would/could only be forty five minutes and I ended the dive with 1500 psi. I still love the diving there though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know- they told us the same thing. We did not mind very well.

The problem Coves has is that, at island prices, to remain attractively competitive ($), they have to stick to a rather "full" itinerary. Catering for as many types of sub aqua sports and as many varied customers as he can is all that allows Mr Cove to offer reasonable rates.
I don't speak for or even work for the company and i certainly don't mean this by way of any kind of vindication. It is simple fact.
Given the broad spectrum of client skill, requirement and punctuality (it is only my opinion that) they do very well.
A given day (today for instance) placed me at the dock at 12 noon. in time to see all the boats come in for lunch, just as the buses arrived dropping off the PM clients and looking to pickup the AM guests. This led to all the instructors/DM's having a ten minute lunch before rushing to assist in the allocation of kit to PM Guests, who are, by this time, standing outside the kit counter and beginning to get antsy!
The guests have just enjoyed up to an hour long bus ride down "country" lane type roads and don't see why they are being kept waiting. (Quite understandably, given the costs of air travel and accommodation!)
Today we saw only happy guests at the end of it all. (One lady had hurt her leg and was limping toward the bus, so to be fair she wasn't exactly smiling!)
My simple point is that it doesn't take much to screw up the routine.
They ARE guilty of the "Cattle Boat" offense in my considered opinion. But only because the busy season must fiscally supplement the quiet one......
Again only my opinion, but the dive staff are of the highest caliber and hand picked from about the world, the captains are some of the most competent in these waters, the boats and safety equipment are second to none here about and the rental dive gear is (quite literally) spanking new.
When time is lost through any reason, it must be made back. This sometimes requires dive times to be limited. Cruel but true.
My gas consumption is rather good, i personally didn't use a full (ally 80) tank on the two PM dives today, yet still had great fun!
I hope you add you comments if you do choose Coves, Mr King!

Mr Foo, I also feel the world needs more cowbell! Each one printed on a cold Kalik! (local lager beer with "junkanoo" cow bell for insignia)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom