Heading back to Cozumel in Sept or Oct....gasp!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes everyone..... we are actually looking at heading back to Cozumel to dive!
I know you all need to sit down and take this all in. It has been 3+ years for us. Long story short, we both have had some minor health issues, surgeries, etc. In the meantime, while we could not dive, we did some cruises...another gasp.

Anyhoo....we are looking at hitting ScubaClubCozumel in either late Sept or early Oct for 7 glorious days. Since Ron gets all these free Southwest airlines flight points due to his work schedule travel, we are thinking of doing the Cancun to Cozumel bag drag. Another gasp... I know, I said I would never do it...but it would save us $1000, so kinda worth it. Maybe.

So...Bag Drag experts... if we arrive Cancun at 2:30pm, how is the best way to get over to Cozumel. ADO bus? Private shuttle? Any recommendations appreciated.
Ditto return...if we have the 3:00pm return flight...best way to get back to Cancun airport.

The good news....we will be diving. Gasp again.

robin

Cheapest is the ADO but for 2 people you can get a prearranged Van for around $50 from the airport . I believe Cvchief uses Lomas travel for vans. For the trip back either a Taxi in front of the ADO for around $650 MXN or the ADO. The flight times you have listed allows for a no hassle whatever happens schedule since you have many options

Glad you are back for some great diving in Cozumel Robin. I have loved your videos in the past.
I know you really enjoy SCC as well.
So many will answer on the bag drag. Saving $1k oh yes I would do it for about $150 per person saved but not any less.
If you arrive at Cancun at 230 just go outside to the right at T3 and go to where the AFDO buses are. there is a small stand and you tell the agent you are going to Playa (5th street). the buses leave maybe every 30 minutes or so. I tip the baggage loader 20Pesos and hop aboard. The buses are really nice, overhead storage, reclining seats, curtains, cup holders, and movie (in spanish). They say you can sit anywhere, but all the times we have taken it the seating was assigned. that being said you can ask for a specific seat sometimes as my wife likes to sit up front.
If I remember it it about $9 US each way on the ADO.
Time to Playa about an hour + 10 minutes. From there it is an easy walk to ferry.
However I always get a bicycle guy to haul all my gear for a few dollars.
buy your ferry ticket on the ferry that is leaving next: Ultramar, Barcos Caribe, and one other which I forgot just now.
I believe it is 168Pesos going over to Coz. time is 32-40 or so minutes. Baros is the slowest, Ultramar a bit faster.
Do not forget, I repeat do not forget to get luggage tags for your luggage or ..............
Ultramar lost all our luggage, it never got loaded on the boat and was left on the dock. why..... well we never asked or were given luggage tags. we did get out stuff a few hours later, but it was scary for a while.
Boat ride is pleasant, they sell snacks and drinks on board. I like to sit outside for the view, but the inside is nice if not a bit cold with the AC.
You should plan on about 3-4 hours from Cancun to Playa depending on what happens with customs, bus schedules, ferry.
The return is similar, but at the ferry they really compete for your business. All ferries were leaving at the same time and Barcos was 68 pesos, Ultramar was 100, the other was about 80 or 90 pesos.
Bicycle guys were waiting at the dock and they hauled all our gear not only to the ADO bus station, but unloaded it in the waiting area. At Playa ADO I asked the lady for specific seating and she brought up the screen of the seats available and was able to sit us up front. It took a bit longer as traffic in town, we stopped at downtown Playa to pick up more, then at T1, T2, then T3 our stop, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Check in at Cancun was easy and quick, except for security which was a pain in the ass and added another 35 minutes of time alone.
Food at the airport is absolutely ridiculously over priced.......really.
Total time on the return from downtown COZ....taxi to ferry...ADO to cancun... checking in about 4+ hours.

so would I do it again, yes going down was good, the return a bit stressful and only if the savings were over $150 per person.

Anyway hope this helps.......... Bluesteel out

I am in favor of the ADO bus but didn't find it from CUN to Playa on my last trip and nobody would tell me where to find it. Coming back was easy.

On my next trip I'm just going to buy my bus ticket inside at the counter--I figure they will tell me where to find my bus.

MAYAir is good if you don't have much luggage.

I have used the bus/ferry going down many times but going back a 20 minute flight on Maya air for $60 is much easier.
While Mayair is a quick option they also have a pretty restrictive weight allowance. A van does not and will stop for cervesa's

Well, we bit the bullet today.....booked our trip for Sept 30-Oct 7th. And we booked to fly into Cozumel (instead of Cancun) even though it costs more. We just don't want to waste half a day in transport and get to SCC when the dive shop is already shut down for night, meaning no checkout dive. And then we would have to be there early in morning to do all the paperwork before the boats go out...just too much rush rush rush for us. I'd rather arrive in Cozumel at 3pm, and take the shuttle to the hotel..do the paperwork, grab a tank, and do my shore checkout dive before dinner. Spoiled, yes. And I like it....and the fact my hubby didn't want to stress over it either.

robin

Robin - we have a one day overlap of our stays at SCC - we arrive on September 20 and leave on the 1st - so we won't get to dive with you but perhaps can wave at dinner on our last and your first night!
Would love any tips you have on SCC also - it's our first time there. My first time diving in Cozumel also, James's third.
Candace

Well, we bit the bullet today.....
robin
Is Ron still editing video?? And if yes, what U/W camera is he going to use on this trip. He had some awesome U/W video's a few years ago !!

Back
Top Bottom