Heading to Belize!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone... we are super excited about this trip. Anymore pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Peter - I know your local and have a little different perspective on the island, and the operations - do you have any tips on who to take to the blue hole? It may be our only chance, and while I know it is a "been there done that" site for many, I hate to travel that far and miss it. If you are more comfortable with it, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advanced...

The main operators doing trips to the BH from AC are Amigos del Mar, Ramon's, Aqua Scuba and Ecologic - I hope I haven't missed any. Other operators go occasionally, such as Island Divers and Belize Dive Connection. Traditionally Amigos headed the list, but they are now a lot more expensive than other operators and have lost business to the others. Probably the best overall deal is Ramon's, as they have a lovely big boat newly refitted and their prices are moderate. I know absolutely nothing about the way Ecologic now operates, but they now have a good name. Aqua Scuba are somewhat controversial at present, after a recent incident when some divers were left behind on the island where lunch is taken. That was however very much a one-off still being investigated, and they do offer very good prices and use a good boat. Belize Dive Connection have a big boat and do a good job when they go, but that isn't very often. Island Divers use a smaller boat for their occasional trips, but so long as sea conditions are OK for that boat they also do a very good job.

You'll need to start organising the trip as soon as you arrive, as boats only go when they have enough divers to make it economic and that is far from being every day. A trip is only confirmed the previous afternoon, and there's no saying which operator will be going. Unfortunately we do sometimes have the situation where several boats have just too few divers, and the operators often don't get together to pool their resources to ensure that at least one boat goes.

Aqua Scuba are somewhat controversial at present, after a recent incident when some divers were left behind on the island where lunch is taken.

Half Moon Caye? Being left behind there might not be so bad, lol.

Yes! And in fact they weren't there long, as another boat (Ecologic Divers') took them over to Long Caye where the Aqua Scuba boat was just starting the third dive. Probably a bit worrying for a time though.

This incident aside, Aquadives is not one of the ops I recommend.

I would concur with skipping the Blue Hole. Very deep dive that doesn't get remotely near interesting until you're 120 - 130 ft deep...stalagtites and cave entrance, etc. I found the shallows surrounding the hole to be much more interesting....but that's just me.

Heading to Belize in May - first time to Belize and looking for some inside help! My girlfriend and I tend to visit some place new each trip, so I am looking for the things that are must see/do and the things to avoid.

Can any of you help w/ recommendations? I know there is some good stuff on the forum, I have read much of it, but several of the threads are pretty dated as well.

Help w/ resturants, sites to see on land and most importantly dive ops/dive sites.

We are staying at Coco Beach Resort on Ambergris. Will be traveling with another non-diving couple (that would be intersted in snorkle trips if could be combined with diving). While I am a bit of a foodie, we are big fans of the laid back beach bar atmosphere as well.

While my girlfriend and I are both comfortable in the water, we dive to relax and unwind, so we aren't looking for anything advanced. We are looking for an op that tends to keep groups small, and has fun safe trips. OP should be photo'g friendly.

Since it is the first trip, and I know it is of a tourist trip, we expect to get a blue hole trip in as well.

Thanks in advanced for any pointers (or things to skip/avoid).

Having been to Belize multiple times, I have only good things to say about Rudy Duran and his Island Divers shop. For the last 5 years we have been with them for a week in early April. Small boats, adequate bottom time, safety conscious, and not too restrictive. Will pick you up from any dock after you've been to his shop initially. A+++ operation.

Above the water, Estelle's serves in my opinion, the best breakfast on the Island. Be sure to visit multiple times. Its also very close to Island Divers. Wild Mango's serves a fantastic dinner. It was the best one we had on our last visit. Might wanna get reservations. Hurricaine Bar is has some really good "bar" food if you're looking for something a little less expensive. Also some excellent Ceviche! Waraguma's Shrimp burrito is big enough for 2 people at lunch and is excellent. You'll be stuffed if you eat a whole one for dinner. At Both at Waraguma's and across the street, Papusas make for a really cheap meal if you're looking for something on the lighter side. I think the same ladys have been making them for years. Sushi at the Blue Water Grill is excellent. Usually 1-2 nights a week. Tuesday and Thursday I believe. They also serve the best Caye Lime Pie on the Island. :42:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom