Heading to the Philippines - Jan-Feb 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice on traveling to and diving in the Philippines.

I've booked a 10 day stay with Cocktail Divers at their resort, Garden of Eden. Based on their website, Tauchen Philippinen - Tauchen auf den Philippinen mit Cocktail Divers in Sabang, Puerto Galera, things look pretty decent. And it did come recommended by someone I know. Has anyone stayed with them before?

I also had a look at the Canadian Government Foreign Affairs website and there is a travel advisory for the Philippines, and am wondering if I should concerned about traveling to Manila.

"The threat of terrorist activities exists, particularly in Mindanao. Bombs have exploded in shopping malls, on public transportation, at airports and port facilities, in places of worship, and in other public areas. Further explosions are possible anywhere in the country.

Canadians should be alert to the danger of kidnapping in the Philippines. Although government action has reduced the frequency of kidnappings, there remain reports of planned kidnap-for-ransom of business people. Kidnappings have occurred throughout the country, including in Manila and several resort areas, and deaths have resulted in some cases. Canadians should be cautious when travelling to, and around, coastal areas and island resorts.

Crime continues to be a serious concern, especially in Manila. Avoid displays of affluence such as jewellery. Do not carry large sums of money, and keep valuables in safekeeping facilities. Criminal gangs are active in Manila, including the Makati central business district, and have drugged and robbed unsuspecting tourists. Visitors should not accept offers of food, drink, or transportation from strangers, and should not leave food or drinks unattended, particularly in bars. Bystanders have been hit by stray gunfire in armed robberies and subsequent pursuit of the perpetrators. Avoid disturbances, rallies and demonstrations."

Last edited:
Hi Warren,

I lived in PG for 4 years and think you should be perfectly happy with Cocktail. They are an experienced op and are always busy, so must be doing something right!

Do not worry about travelling to Manila any more than you would worry about New York. That travel alert is a standard one that most countries have a similar version of. The Philippines gets a bad rep. but you'll see that it is primarily undeserved.

Obviously the sensible things mentioned like not flaunting jewelry and carry loads of money on you etc etc would be wise to follow. But you should find the main public areas of Manila like the malls and resto areas such as Greenbelt very safe and friendly.

In PG you will probably be harassed by vendors trying to sell you sunglasses, DVDs and pearl but they too are friendly like all the locals and you will have a great time.

Enjoy and I hope that helps!

Matt.

I reckon you have an equal, if not greater, chance of running into trouble in your hometown of Toronto than in the Philippines.

Granted, I was only in the PI for a total of 8 weeks, but never once did I feel in harm's way. I took public transit and strayed from resorts as much as possible, and even in GenSan (Mindanao) at night, I felt at ease.

Have a great time, Warren, and be sure to post a trip report complete with pics when you get back. :wink:

Thanks for the advice guys, it sounds like it should be a good trip. I've got 10 days in the Philippines, then I fly directly to the Maldives for a 10 day liveaboard, then home. Should be a blast!

Why isnt there a travel warning like this to parts of USA then? Particularly Detroit, Memphis and Miami? :idk:

Because in Canada everyone already knows the dangers.

The only problem of diving with Cocktail is.....gear up in the shop and the walk to the boat!! At other places your gear will be loaded to the boat and you only have to carry your fin, mask and weight(if required).

Philippines is pretty dangerous because the beer is extremely cheap and the Philipina might steal your heart. So be warned.

Wow sounds like you have a great trip planned... Again as far as safety goes, I have traveled solo throughout the Philippines to meet up with groups and have yet to have any problems.... I would just take care to pack plenty of rechargable batteries as the batteries here are relatively expensive and sometimes quality is suspect...

If you carry an unusal/unique computer I would bring an extra battery for that... But if your experienced you already knew that :) ....

Finally you can pick up a copy of the latest lonely planet guide and you should be all set in case you want to take any side trips....

Cheers,
Roger

Travel Warnings for the US ---- good one -----Might look something like this

- BEWARE OF GUN-TOTING MORONS THAT WILL SHOOT YOU ON A WHIM.
- BEWARE OF POLITICIANS THAT WILL SPEND YOUR TAX DOLLARS AS IF THERE IS AN UNLIMITED BUDGET

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom