Health questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do westerners get stomach upset while eating or drinking in Philippines? I go to India often from here in US...
Though I'm originally from India, I get stomach upset if I go every 5 years. Every 2 year trips aren't an issue since I guess my immunity is still valid for 2 years in between visits 😂.

Going to PG soon in few days... Can't wait. But I need to drink water from the airport to mindoro...a 3 hour journey. I'll be sure to get the best bottled water there is...

I'm also carrying DAN insurance.. Are they're decompression chambers near PG?

Please advice thx...

I had travelled in Bangladesh, India and Pakistan when bottled water was NOT an option! Never ever suffered the infamous Delhi quick step. LOL.
Bottled water is the rule and readily available everywhere.
Ice is one of the thing that you have to consider.
There is a chamber just across the channel. Does it matter by the way because there are many places that have no access to one!

Depending on which terminal you land at there are plenty of "Sari-Sari" stores (small family c-stores) outside of the arrivals area. You can buy bottled water there . (Natures Spring, Summit, Absolute..all good). You will find bottled water everywhere...there are Sari-Sari stores everywhere.

My advice to foreign travelers eating or drinking here is:

1) Stick to bottled or purified water. Never drink out of the tap. If you are at a restaurant and want a glass of water. you can ask for "Mineral Water" (bottled) or "Service Water" (that is bulk purified water the restaurant uses and is free) I have no problem ever with service water.

2) Don't eat street food. This is just not really a good idea. At least don't eat anything that is not fully cooked in front of you.

3) A general rule is to always eat at a "proper" restaurant, bar or resort. The ice should be fine. (they buy it from an ice delivery service) and the food has been cooked to order.

The closest chamber to PG is in Quezon City, Manila. DAN has it listed.

Just back from 3.5 weeks in Philippines. Drank the tap water in Manila and PG as well as the other place we stayed. No problems at all.

and most of the 114 mllion Philippinos, and the old white men wandering the streets would probably agree

At the arrival terminal for cathay pacific...T3...I need to stay for 5 _6 hours before my ride. Are there good restrooms etc? Places to relax? I've noticed that it's always the departure area that is very clean and sophisticated in most airports....Thx

and most of the 114 mllion Philippinos, and the old white men wandering the streets would probably agree
It's about immunity to microbes my friend that's why I use the India analogy it takes time to build up...!

When I first moved to the US 25 years ago I got terribly sick with flu viruses but not now...

Unless it has been closed otherwise there is a chamber in Batangas which is just across the channel.

At the arrival terminal for cathay pacific...T3...I need to stay for 5 _6 hours before my ride. Are there good restrooms etc? Places to relax? I've noticed that it's always the departure area that is very clean and sophisticated in most airports....Thx
How difficult it is to look it up on line?

Terminal 3 arrivals has a few restaurants including a Wendy's and a coffee shop or two.

Back
Top Bottom