Hearing Music at 90 fsw. Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On our last dive trip to Roatan, I happened to notice that at around 90 fsw I was hearing classical music (I think it was Mozart). This happened on a few other dives at that depth as well.

Is this a common sign of narcosis?

BTW, I started to work my way up and it wasn't until I was doing my safety stop at 15 that the music went away. Anybody else?

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Someone probably had an MP3 player along with them on the dives and had it cranked up.

The Atlantis symphony orchestra was probably in concert.

Dave Zimmerly:
.... I was hearing classical music (I think it was Mozart). This happened on a few other dives at that depth as well.

Maybe you were diving with this one dive buddy of mine. Last dive with him, at about 60 feet at night, poor viz. He was singing and humming Wagner loudly. This guy is pretty entertainning. Does something unexpected every time. Maybe some nearby sailboat had music playing below deck and the sound transmits through the hull.

As for Norcosis, you don't feel "drunk", you think yu are OK but the brain just works at 1/2 speed. I've heard of halosinations buy niot a 90 feet those typically happen near the limits of air diving at 200+ feet. At 90 ft the effect would be mild at worst.

Actually, this is very possible. I 'heard music' due to narcosis once, at 175fsw. My the sound of my bubbles quickly became a melody that kept on going. What are some of the other good stories of narcosis kicking in here?

Dave Zimmerly:
On our last dive trip to Roatan, I happened to notice that at around 90 fsw I was hearing classical music (I think it was Mozart). This happened on a few other dives at that depth as well.

Is this a common sign of narcosis?

BTW, I started to work my way up and it wasn't until I was doing my safety stop at 15 that the music went away. Anybody else?

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I've never heard music when I'm narc'ed. I'll listen closer next time...:D

Flashbacks...

You might have just had it stuck in your head. That would explain why it went away during your safety stop, when you had something else that you were concentrating on.

Odds are, if it was due to narcosis, it would have stopped long before you hit the 15' stop.

I was diving with some guys in Oahu once that had underwater speakers on the dive boat. Allman Brothers - Statesboro Blues while on the Corsair.

Ah the memories.

Back
Top Bottom