Heart Problem Diving Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bzbcal

Registered
Reaction score
I am 73 and diving for 30 plus years. 5 way heart bypass performed 19 years ago. Last trip in May was to Soccorro Islands for rough water but great diving.

Returned from trip and noticed tightness in chest after 15 minutes on exercise bike.

After cardiolite test and angiogram, doctor had bad news. Two grafts to the right side of heart have failed and no recourse to repair.

The other 3 grafts are perfect and working well.

Doctor wants me to STOP all diving. he has agreed to talk to cardiologist who is diver who may have suggestions.

1. Is it unrealistic of me to think I could still dive in warm water under slight current conditions ??

2. I assume all cold water as we have in California is significantly more stressfull than warm water. I did complete a 2 dive boat trip in June with no symptoms.

I get very depressed just thinking about NO diving, so any ideas are welcome.

Paul

Let me preface by saying that I don't know the details of your particular case. In general, a patient with coronary artery disease can dive as long as they have normal heart muscle funtions, no evidence of limitation of blood flow to the heart muscle on stress testing, and good exercise tolerance -- 13 METs maximal effort on a stress test of the ability to maintain 6 METs for a prolonged period of time. The latter would be equivalent to walking 2 miles in 24 minutes. In your particular case you didn't mention the assessment of your heart muscle function or your functional capacity. It is concerning that two grafts have closed but that in and of itself shouldn't necessarily exclude you from diving. I would recommend you contact DAN and have them refer you to a cardiologist with an expertise in diving in your area. Best of luck!

Doug

Douglas Ebersole, MD
Interventional Cardiology, Watson Clinic LLP
Director, Cardiac Cath Labs
Lakeland Regional Medical Center

Cardilite test showed problem with lower section of doughnut display under stress, therefore they proceeded with angiogram which showed the two grafts that have failed.

I guess I was looking for ok to dive warm water low stress diving. I am signing up for phase 2 Rehab and hope that increases my chances for diving again. Trip to Sea of Cortez Liveaboard in Sept. all paid .

DAN is unable to provide name of cardiologist in the Sacramento Area. They have sent names of
2 internal medicine doctors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom