Fin Recommendations for a Bad Knee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As much as it pains me (pun intended) to admit it, 12 years of 3 sports a year in my youth and several years of active duty injuries are catching up with me. Recently, went to the ortho doctor and have obvious arthritis in one of my knees. I want to keep diving for years to come but cold water diving with stiff fins and heavy weights might be out of the cards and I may just do a couple warm water trips a year as long as I can. I mean, just doing frog kicks in the pool is a little painful and I may even need to stick more to flutter type kicks. I'm starting a personal weight loss journey to take as much pressure and inflammation of the wheel but that will likely just ease symptoms, which may be just fine for warm water trips.

With that said, I probably need some fins that are a bit softer in design and more forgiving. I could go the split fin route, but the fellow diver ridicule may be worse than the knee pain :rofl3: I'd also like the option of doing some wrecks so I assume I should get a more squat fin model. Seems from peoples' comment on the forum that the regular RK3 fins may fit the bill, shorter and a little floppier. Maybe not the best for heavier current dives but other than that, probably okay for typical more casual warm water diving. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

From another with similar knee issues.

It's technique not fins. I use hollis f1 with no problems.

If you don't need heavy fins the deep six eddy's are nice.

Next piece of advice see if you can see a physical therapist for knew specific exercises to help strengthen the little muscles there.

I have bad knees. Tried Atomic splits 5-6 years ago but they don’t work for frog. I switched to the Deep6 Eddys. Even though I’m now using size large with drysuit and they are stiffer than the older small/medium ones I wear diving wet, they don’t hurt my knees. They’re light enough. The heavy Jetfins DID hurt.

I have bad knees and still manage fine with Jet Fins. I don't do the coldwater, drysuit, heavy doubles divng anymore. For warm water divning, I make do with a modified frog kick for going slow and a dolphin kick if I need to go fast. I did a ton of lap swimming to strengthen the muscles needed for those kicks. I can still do all of the turns and back kick, but wouldn't want to back kick for an extended time.

I have one bad knee. Couple of rebuilds. And now it is doing more bad stuff. Lateral stability got fixed, but the random hyperextension has taken its place. Really should find a good knee doc. I liked my first one, not so much the second one.

Don't have any issues with the knees while diving. Fins just don't bother them. Calves and hips will be feeling it the next day, but the knee isn't an issue.

I have been told my fins reduce knee strain. It might be a small blade that helps, and you can read more here. Kinematic Comparison of Swimming with Two Different Designs of Dive Fins - Force Fin Made in America for over 40 years now and with a money back if not happy. Best wishes, Bob
size-fin.jpg

Hello Mr. Evans,

I just wanted to say thank you for the fins you designed. A good friend of mine turned me on to your fins back in the late 2000's trying to help me out with my knee issues while diving. As someone who has had major knee issues I can attest to your fins making a vast difference in stresses on the knees while diving. I gave all my other fins away to friends and have only used my force fins for the last 15+ years when diving. The difference in mechanics to drive your fins vs "regular" fins makes all the difference in the world to my knees. I just wanted to say thank you, and I hope you are having a great day.

Thank you from a big force fin fan,

ej

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom