Heaviest Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just cast up some lead bars and bolt them to the plate?
Or why not just build a dam at each end of the plate channel, plug the holes, and fill the channel with lead?
So easy to do.

I have a Hollis 5.5 lbs backplate with a 1 lb STA and a 4 lbs P-weight in the backplate (attached with the STA bolts) right behind my back. I do not like cam band weight pockets.

It was actually cheaper (at one point, not sure that is still the case) to just buy 2 DGX stainless backplates and sandwich them together. The heavy-duty Subgravity plate and the ones offered by other manufacturers were more expensive. That is what I did for one of my rebreathers since I wanted a ~10lb plate.

It was actually cheaper (at one point, not sure that is still the case) to just buy 2 DGX stainless backplates and sandwich them together. The heavy-duty Subgravity plate and the ones offered by other manufacturers were more expensive. That is what I did for one of my rebreathers since I wanted a ~10lb plate.
Here's where I got mine- $190 plus free shipping:

That is what I do for people that need an extra 6 pounds al the time. Works great and you can't tell the difference once assembled.

I was really leaning towards the DGX bundle, but upping the backplate to the 316 SS Dive Rite, but I followed this link, and I decided to just go with the SubGravity heavy plate and the adjustable harness setup. Saved a little money and got more of what I was looking for along the way!
I was getting paralysis by analysis and I feel relieved to just have made a decision, for better or worse. haha

I was really leaning towards the DGX bundle, but upping the backplate to the 316 SS Dive Rite, but I followed this link, and I decided to just go with the SubGravity heavy plate and the adjustable harness setup. Saved a little money and got more of what I was looking for along the way!
I was getting paralysis by analysis and I feel relieved to just have made a decision, for better or worse. haha
I gave up on the unified solution for warm and cold water setups. Got the DGX basic BP/W package for warm water and building a cold water setup one piece at a time around the Subgravity 6mm plate as I find things on sale or demos etc. Since it'll be an exclusive cold water setup, I see no scenario where I wouldn't need the extra 5 pounds somewhere on my body, so it might as well be distributed across the plate by design.

I gave up on the unified solution for warm and cold water setups. Got the DGX basic BP/W package for warm water and building a cold water setup one piece at a time around the Subgravity 6mm plate as I find things on sale or demos etc. Since it'll be an exclusive cold water setup, I see no scenario where I wouldn't need the extra 5 pounds somewhere on my body, so it might as well be distributed across the plate by design.
For single tank, I agree. For twinsets (only if that is in your future), it depends on the weight distribution you need to be trim. I have a Halcyon weight pouch, and I stuff the weight as low as possible and dive with heavy fins (Hollis F1s). Otherwise I'm head heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom