Helium and Oxygen Pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyl_2.png

But at what pressure?

Whatever is stamped on the outside of the tank. T's are 2400 (typically). Your 4500 PSI cylinders are not letter designated, they are 444 cubic feet.

The letter designation is losing favor. Lots of gas houses will look at you funny if you go in and order a 'T' of oxygen or helium. It is much more common to order a 300 of oxygen or helium. Then they can tell you that they only have a 280.

OIC I thought they were Ts also but at a higher pressure. So the Helium and Oxygen at 2200-2400 and 220ish cuft are Ts?

Nope, the T's are the biggest common cylinder. K's are your typical welding oxygen cylinder (220 CFT and 2400 PSI), T's are your typical ABO and Medical O2, UHP helium also comes in T's. Baloon heluim comes in a 220 CFT 2400 PSI K. Again, the letter designations are going away. When you order gas, ask for the grade and cubic foot amount. When buying UHP helium, you will want a 300 of UHP. When buying breathing O2, you will want a 300 of Medical grade. Those happen to come in T cylinders.

So in spite of what I've read elsewhere about the gas being the same and coming from the same tanks, you are saying I need to buy the more expensive Medical O2 and UHP helium instead of the industrial grade? I'm not talking about balloon grade. I'm talking welding supply house stuff. Am I being stupid to consider this?

If you are going to breath it, it needs to be breathing grade. Even though it comes from the same filler. Helium 5.0 is the lowest grade I would consider at Trimix depths. ABO or Medical are the only grade I would consider, but you will learn all of that in your blender course and your AN/DP and Trimix course.

So my google certification isn't enough? damn

So in spite of what I've read elsewhere about the gas being the same and coming from the same tanks, you are saying I need to buy the more expensive Medical O2 and UHP helium instead of the industrial grade? I'm not talking about balloon grade. I'm talking welding supply house stuff. Am I being stupid to consider this?
Obviously it depends on who you talk to. I've been getting my O2 and He from a welding supply shop for 10 years. I've even used balloon grade He once but I ran an analysis on it first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom