helium solubility in the eye!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, not wanting to go into details as this is hyperthetical and i fancy asking this awkward question :)

If you do a 200m dive using a very high % helium mix. You then mask clear, with said gas.

You then ascend switching to other gasses, but DO NOT mask clear, so the % of he in your mask stays the same (just hyperthetical here, so stick with me).

Now theoretically, the helium will migrate between surfaces, and with your eyes being soft tissues, they will absorb the helium the quickest and likewise will release it the slowest.... so therefore it is within the realms of possibility that your eyes could take on a lot more helium than your internal tissues, and thus be prone to rapid gas transference, and hence bubbles...

Hence the question, has there been an occurence of people having bent eyes? and if not, what would it take to bend an eye? how extreme would it have to be??

Over to you guys :)

Theoretically No. I think the amounts of gas in the mask is way to small to even make a difference. Would love to see others views.

:popcorn:

I'm not sure how much if gas (if any) we absorb that hasn't entered through the lungs. You could also ask if people get argon bends from their suit inflation. *Shrug*

KY:
Okay, not wanting to go into details as this is hyperthetical and i fancy asking this awkward question :)

If you do a 200m dive using a very high % helium mix. You then mask clear, with said gas.

You then ascend switching to other gasses, but DO NOT mask clear, so the % of he in your mask stays the same (just hyperthetical here, so stick with me).

Now theoretically, the helium will migrate between surfaces, and with your eyes being soft tissues, they will absorb the helium the quickest and likewise will release it the slowest.... so therefore it is within the realms of possibility that your eyes could take on a lot more helium than your internal tissues, and thus be prone to rapid gas transference, and hence bubbles...

Hence the question, has there been an occurence of people having bent eyes? and if not, what would it take to bend an eye? how extreme would it have to be??

Over to you guys :)

I think the reason that this doesn't happen in real life is that your assumption (bolded) is wrong.

Bent eyes?

vlcsnap-688973.png

I think the reason that this doesn't happen in real life is that your assumption (bolded) is wrong.

oopss i meant quickest and quickest... SORRY :D

As for volume, agreed, but if you have a VERY high helium % in one Compartment, and a very low helium % in another, the compartments will average out.

Also, gasses are more soluable in a solution than a solid, hence, with your eye's being a wet environment!?!

as i said, this is purely hyperthetical, and hence, would like to know what you would have to do to cause such an event!?!

I can see its possible as a hypothetical.

A similar situation would be inflating a drysuit with a high He mixture, which is generally not recommended,both from thermal considerations and possible He absorbtion.

I always O2 clean my mask. That way I can clear it while breathing deco gas.

KY:

The fraction of He stays constant under your assumption but not the ppHe since the mask will equalize as you ascend.

This is analogous to how you ongas N2 at the start of a dive and offgas on ascent. The fraction of N2 is constant, assuming no gas switch.

As begin to you ascend your eyes will offgas, they just won't offgas into the mask space. At some point your eyes will be in equilbrium with the mask space. After that depth (still ascending, still offgassing) the mask space will offgas into your eyes and your eyes will further transfer the helium to blood and it will be eliminated via the lungs.

Hypothetically speaking about this 650ft or so dive.

Reality is your mask will vent and there will be ample gas exchange between your mouth, nose and mask spaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom