Hello all...just started classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLArmyBrat

Reaction score
Greetings all!!! The b/f and I just started classes on Monday and had our first in pool class last night. And wouldn't you know it...I haven't been sinusy sick in almost 2 yrs and I get an attack the day before we get in the pool!!! But I geared up anyway but stayed in the shallow end after our exercises while everyone else played in the deep end. :(

I was really worried about flooding my mask and letting the water out but it worked out just fine!!!

I really like the boards here and look forward to plenty of lively conversations!!!

Laurel

Welcome to the board. You will find it a lively place.

Congrats on dealing with the flooded mask, that and mask removal and replacement seem to be the most challenging for many students.

One thing I would caution you about, though, is please be careful diving with sinus problems. I know it's not fun sitting out, but it's much preferable to complications that can arise from diving when you're not feeling well enough (and missing even more days of diving:(). And peer pressure shouldn't come into play at all. My diving was cancelled today due to my buddy having come down with a cold overnight, I know he did the right thing by calling our dives today.

Wiley...

I don't normally have sinus problems :sneeze: . But Murphy must have known how much I was looking forward to getting in the pool and hit me with Law #1!!!

I quicky found out that you CANNOT repeat CANNOT dive with clogged up anything. I couldn't even clear my ears on the surface so needless to say I couldn't even make it to the bottom of the shallow end. I pretty much stayed close enough to the surface that my fins kept coming out. But it was a thrill to be under water with the gear on. I can not wait 'til the next pool class.

:scuba: <the future me!!! (gotta love the gizmos)

Talk to you all again real soon,
Laurel

Just thought I'd share this for whatever reason...Maybe to help anyone in the same situation...

Have had extensive sinus surgery in past... Was REALLY worried when it came to trying scuba diving.

Started classes and ended up in the OW certs - and was bombing in the dives due to sinus... Got really upset cause I LOVED diving about as much as breathing.... Yeah...a real problem aye!

So I'm talkin' the the dive instructors... Got put in the "idiot group" (yeah, I know.... don't flame me.... It's just what the group felt like, ok...) Took me over 20 mins just to reach 20' on my first dive.... My ears were screaming!

Took my time and finally made it. First couple dives were nightmares though. Couldn't see s*%#, and got lost from instructor. Loved scuba and everything about it though and was determined.

Instructor told me ears were like greasing, oiling up and breaking in something and they would eventually kick in.

By dive 15 my ears were doing really well, and kicked in pretty good. At over 40 dives now, I feel really comfortable.

Just keep at it if you're having trouble...take your time going down... take Sudafed if you have to as well.... You'd be suprised to find how many do.

-J

JButla once bubbled...
Have had extensive sinus surgery in past... Was REALLY worried when it came to trying scuba diving.

Instructor told me ears were like greasing, oiling up and breaking in something and they would eventually kick in.

-J

on that same note, I had a doctor tell me you need to start doing your exercises about 30 minutes before you even hit the water. Flying gives you the same "ear clearing" problems. It starts relaxing your little ear parts. . .and makes clearing easier when you need it.

I have family in the "other" Melbourne! Welcome to the board!
:)

Welcome to diving and the board! :)

I had a long history of sinus/ear problems as a child. I don't even remember how many times I had tubes in my ears! (6 or 7, I think)

However, my situation was mostly better by the time I started diving, and my ears have been better than ever since diving because of the habitual equalization. I haven't dove in 3 years, but I still equalize when I think of it for general health, probably about twice daily, and my ears still show an increased health from my earlier years.

I would avoid taking Sudafed. I would hate to have it beginning to wear off as I dove, and develop problems while deep. I have heard of people having to rupture an eardrum to surface! :eek: I haven't done this, but I have busted and eardrum, and while it doesn't make you deaf, it hurts in a way difficult to express, (similar to broken nose pain) and a few perforations (scar from a healed rupture) will make identification of sound more difficult. (I have occasional difficulty understanding people even when I hear them because of a couple of perfs. It's almost like a faint hiss or mingling of sounds since the eardrum no longer vibrates in the same way. Rip a speaker cone, glue it back, and play it. This is an exaggerated idea of a healed eardrum rupture.)

Anyway, enjoy the FL diving. I envy you, having grown up in Gainesville and now being stuck in VA. Don't forget the springs and even the spring fed rivers (Crystal and Rainbow rivers are excellent, not to mention the Silver, but gators do abound in the Silver.)

Thanks again for the wonderful welcomes!! And I feel MUCH better now! Unfortunately, the b/f has it now and he's miserable. Wants to be babied and all that. Just hoping he clears up by tomorrow night or HE'LL be the guppy in the shallow end instead of me LOLOL

We did our final exams and last of our book/classroom work last night and have 3 more confined dives before our open water dives the 13th and 14th. The b/f has us already all but signed up for the AOW/Nitrox class the weekend after our open water dives. The instructors are the same and think we'll do fine so we're probably gonna go for it. He wants us to get AOW before we go to the Keys in October. Just hoping its not too much too quickly. But I really like and trust our instructors so I'm sure it will be great.

Talk to y'all again soon I am sure!

:eek:utahere:
Laurel
Working on getting that avitar!!!

Back
Top Bottom