Hello, and recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBreezy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Posted this in the introduction forum too, but thought this one may be slightly more relevant.

Hi everybody!

I got my OW in Aug. 2016, now up to Rescue Diver with Nitrox cert. and am up to 29 dives including trips to Cozumel and just recently returned from Belize. Hoping to double that number this year.

I mostly wanted to just say hello and introduce myself to the community here, however, I also have a question for you all: An individual in my dive group recently had some troubles with rental equipment which could have had some pretty devastating consequences had our DM's not been as vigilant as they were (running out of air due to faulty SPG on ascent from ~130ft in the Great Blue Hole). I knew I wanted my own equipment before, but now have decided that I need my own equipment.

Any general recommendations on Regs/BCDs/Computers (to a lesser extent wetsuits)? I've talked to my shop and will be researching more online tonight, but I thought I would ask the community here if there is anything that you would particularly recommend, or particularly recommend against?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to chatting with you all.

My instructor taught me to check my SPG before each dive. Turn the air on and note the pressure. Turn the air off and it should drop to zero in regular steps in about 4 regular breaths. Turn the air back on and pressure should be same as first time. Pointer should come to zero as you are drawing your last breath. Periodically test your SPG on a cylinder known to have exactly 50 Bar in it. SPGs are generally very reliable unless dropped. They tend to either work or fail. Any inaccuracy tends to be progressive. Opening the cylinder valve too fast can damage them. Open valve slowly so pointer swings round gently. Although new to Scuba I have had a lot of experience on welding gasses, pneumatics and hydraulics.

@Joshua Briggs, my husband and I have determined that, for us, it's not important to spend a ton of money on gear - nor does it need to have all the latest bells and whistles. We do have some gear with bells and whistles, but now sort of wish we could get that $$ back to pay for dive trips instead. I'm sure this group will have great recommendations.

I'd go for a regular, analog SPG, on a hose, and a good wrist computer. The reason I say analog SPG is that it's easy for other divers to check your air without having to figure out which number on your computer represents air, time, or depth. Get a BCD that has enough lift to do the diving you plan to be doing. In other words, if you get only a travel BCD and it won't hold enough lead for you to comfortably do cold water diving you may find yourself buying a second BCD - and if money is no object then who cares, but if it's not ...

So my bottom line is ... don't get carried away by flashy stuff. Spend your money on what will keep you safe and comfortable - and can grow with you as you continue in the sport. But this is all my opinion only.

Me being a newbie to certification and lots of repetitive dives lately and the near future, I've spent a bunch on equipment, probably stupid too much but my ex wife can't take it now can she?

On a tight budget, I'd buy a Mask first, BC second. Mask is cheap, a BC that you know just makes you're diving easier bouyancy and comfort wise.

Regs? It's great to have the latest easy breathing lightest deal in the world warm or cold water deal but $$$

Fins? I really think I could dive with about any fin you handed me

Wetsuit? Yea, after hearing about infections I could see that but again what one? I have a 1mm, a 3/2 and just got measured for a dry $$$

Computer / SPG? If your doing twice a day rec diving maybe 20 times a year is one thing, 20 dives a week every 6 weeks is another $$$

If your on a budget I would go with Deep 6 regulators rom Dive Gear Express aka DGX. If your not on a budget, Deep 6 is still a good choice. they are of tried and true design and breath nice. DGX customer service is outstanding and you can service them yourself if you are into that. LP usually has good deals on wet suits of last years models. If you do repetitive dives stay away from suunto computers as they are a bit conservative. if you don't do repetitive dives stay away from suunto computers because their customer service sucks. go with an Aqua Lung as they use the Z+ (C) algorithm which is better on repetitive dives. the i100 wrist is like $195. figure out if you want,, back inflation BCD or jacket. back is great while diving but sucks on the surface. if you go with jacket, make sure you blow it up good and see if it is too restrictive on you for breathing. some don't like jacket because of the feeling of being restricted. just my $.02

First of all the Blue Hole is such a "trust me" dive that your DM should not have taken you there yet - especially if you dropped below the rim to see the underside as you likely exceeded 130'. So don't let one bad experience weigh on you.

For regs - you have to get them serviced routinely - most annually to maintain the warranty, Although there are several mail-in options you might want to focus on those brands you can get serviced locally. If you tell us what they are we can probably make specific recommendations.

While Deep6 is the current darling here om SB - their distribution/service model is unique and geared toward DIY service or sending it back to their warehouse in GA for service, They include the first service kit with purchase so you can find a local tech also who can service it, Of my 3 normal shops,2 had no problem with doing it for a fee - the 3rd thought his insurance would not cover it. So check that out b4 you purchase Deep6/DGX (made by them) regs.

I dive Atomic Aquatics regs - more of an upscale brand, All their regs breathe the same - the price differences reflect the materials used. An entry level Z3 model(Zirconium) is around $500 - their top end T3 around $1700. I have a T2 - everything is Titanium which does not corrode - ever. I do not plan to ever buy another reg. Breathing is effortless at any depth and they have a 2 year/300 dive recommended service interval due to their Seat Saver Orifice which keeps the seat from imprinting while stored, The seat is the most commonly serviced part on many other brands,

I would own Scubapro regs otherwise - I started diving in 1981 and some of the same models (updated) are still sold today.

For BCD's I'm a back-inflate fan. You probably learned/rented a jacket style up to now since they're a less expensive option for rental fleets. IMO the best thing about them is how they float you at the surface.

Since most people dive in a horizontal trim position it makes more sense to have the air-cell above you while actually diving. Two basic options - a Back Inflate BCD or the darling of a vocal minority here on SB - the Backplate/Wing (BP/W)

Either works, I prefer a bcd since I fly to dive so like to get my weights at the destination. With the right sizing of plate/wing you bring both with you - the most commonly sold steel plates weigh from 5-10 lbs.

I'm a fan of Zeagle products having owned a couple. If you travel to dive you might consider their Covert model as it's a full featured BC that folds up. I'm also a fan of Aqualung's Zuma or Scubapro's Lighthawk.

I don't keep current on BP/W's but if I wanted one would likely buy from Tobin at Deep Sea Supply - he really backs his product in his forum here, Deep6 either has/is coming out with one - I suspect it will be orange as is much of their line.

my ..02

As long as it's from one of the major manufacturers, get what fits your budget. I bought Scubapro many Moons ago, it's been fine. If you are doing ordinary recreational diving, where you're mostly 100 feet or less, (with maybe a few brief forays down to 130 or so but only with an experienced group in ideal conditions, and there's something interesting to see there, and watch your gauges like a hawk and don't stay too long), you'll be fine with "Chevy Malibu" equipment, at least I have been. Get it serviced yearly, too.

It'll take a long time--maybe forever--until you are "better than your gear". I have been a happy diver, and a happy but awful golfer, with just "ordinary" equipment.*

And proper fit is way more important than brand or type.

*PS-- as between scuba and golf, both of which I took up at about the same time, I have found it safer to stink at golf... ;-)

Last edited:
Hi @Joshua Briggs , welcome!

I’m just slightly ahead of you in terms of number of dives and equipment buying, so I don’t have years and years of experience, but I do have current and relevant experience. :D

Like you, I was renting equipment until about 30 dives in. After experiencing equipment issues on several dives, I really wanted my own. I had regulator issues - I kept chewing through the rental mouthpiece, which I now know was because their mouthpiece was the wrong size for my mouth. And I also had bcd issues - I kept ascending without control inside a cavern, which I thought was because the bcd was auto-inflating (broken) but I now think was because there were air bubbles trapped in the bladder.

Unfortunately, sometimes buying gear is like trial and error, especially if you’re a perfectionist like me. I researched and researched, thought and thought, and still made mistakes!

I have purchased the following and have learned some lessons:

1. Scubapro frameless - I was lucky and have an easy-to-fit face. I had no leaking problems from the start. Only problem was fogging, still, despite rubbing with toothpaste every time before a dive and burning several times by different instructors. Maybe it’s the glass? My husband has a hard-to-fit face. After 3 masks, he still doesn’t have one that doesn’t constantly leak.

2. Aqualung Hotshots - great travel fin but it’s a compromise on performance. I found it lacking if you had to swim against a current (like in Coz), so we switched to Mares Quattros. Husband likes it but the smallest size was too big for me so I’m still searching. I use my Hotshots in the meantime. They are fine. I’m just picky.

3. Wetsuits - I bought a 3mm wetsuit as my first piece of equipment when I got certified even before mask, snorkel and fins. Loved it as it kept me warm. It was the old Bare Elastek with great seals but PITA to don and doff. Then I bought a Henderson Thermaxx on sale and I tossed my Bare aside. While I still think the Bare was warmer given the same mm, I just could no longer stand the awkward donning and doffing. The Thermaxx inside is made of fleece so feels super comfy too like a warm hug.

4. BCD - I thought I wanted a backplate and wing, but settled for the Dive Rite Transpac XT. I’m glad we didn’t get the backplate and wing. When we got the Transpac and tried it, we had serious doubts so we went out and got the Oceanic Biolite on sale (and on impulse) and LOVE it! Now, we’re going to give our Transpacs a liveaboard’s worth of dives to redeem itself, so to speak. I hope we learn to like it, otherwise it will be for sale. Expensive mistake!

5. Deep6 regulator set - works great; even went to the service clinic! It’s on a long hose setup although this might change as I dive more.

6. Shearwater Perdix- um, what can I say? Perfect, almost!

7+. We’re also slowly accumulating a whole bunch of accessories, like safety equipment, hoods, boots, gloves, socks, lights, etc.

I could write a whole essay on the ins and outs of equipment buying but I’ll stop here for now.

Good luck!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom