Hello everyone :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I wear contacts, without them it is hard to see anything at all (terrible vision). I could try tonight without wearing my contacts and open my eyes underwater though. The only problem is my eyes are sensitive to water, especially chlorinated water, but I think I can at least try to open my eyes.

I'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks!

Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk:
Unfortunately, I wear contacts, without them it is hard to see anything at all (terrible vision). I could try tonight without wearing my contacts and open my eyes underwater though. The only problem is my eyes are sensitive to water, especially chlorinated water, but I think I can at least try to open my eyes.

I'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks!

Sparrowhawk
Nah - don't do it. Blurry vision and irritated eyes would just be additional problems.

Just do it with your eyes closed until you feel comfortable with it. It'll work eventualy.

In real diving then, you'll be able to remove your mask to wash out excess de-fog that's burning your eyes - done that a few times, or to don a lost mask that a buddy retrieves for you.

If & when you feel like spending money on a different approach, you could get a prescription lens mask. At my age - I have bifocals masks. My newbie dive buddy found that to be easier as she was then not worried about losing contacts during the dive. But that'll wait. Keep it simple for now - you'll get it. :)

Alrighty, thanks I shall remember to keep my eyes closed, I think the best way I can do this, is to practice. Thanks for all the help!

Hope all is well.

Sparrowhawk

Well, I went to the pool and took an Open Water Class (I did last week too) and got to practice a lot of the skills including taking my mask off. I first practiced flooding my mask, then my instructor told me to take my mask off. I did, and I noticed that I was getting better with taking it off. Then he made me do it again and he took the mask from me and handed it back, I didn't panic at all. My instructor said that everytime I took my mask off that it looked like I became more comfortable doing the skill.

So, even though I am getting better, I will definately still practice.

Thanks for all the help,

Sparrowhawk

Back
Top Bottom