Hello everyone :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am fairly new to diving. I started this year back around March. I must say that scuba diving is an expensive sport and addicting as well. I need advice though on taking my mask off and on underwater. I was at Vortex Spring for my Open Water Certification and I had to take my mask off, but for some reason I wouldn't put it on again and started to panic. I fortunately signaled my Dive Instructor that something was wrong and to ascend. My Dive Instructor has helped a lot with the problem and has been patient with me. I have gone to the pool a few times and have taken my mask off and on a couple of times, but I don't know if that is going to work if someone accidently kicks my mask off and I can't find it. I am afraid I could panic again and go to the surface too quickly. Are there any tips for taking the mask on and off?

Thanks,

Sparrowhawk

Go back to the pool and do it some more. Practice makes perfect.
You'll quickly come to realize that it's not the end of the world and you will just take it in stride.

the K

Outstanding. I got certified at Vortex, too! Welcome to the board. :)

My suggestion to you, about the mask, is to practice flooding and clearing it in the pool until you get comfortable with that. Then, instead of flooding it, just take it off, BREATHE, (no, not through your nose!) and then calmly put it back on. Rinse and repeat.

My best to you.

-Frank

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Practice, practice, practice - have fun. :11doh:

:cowboy2: don

:wavey: Welcome to the
logo.gif
!

Thank you for your responses everyone! I am going to the pool today to practice. Hopefully, I shall get better. Meanwhile, I hope you are all doing well.

See you around!

Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk:
Thank you for your responses everyone! I am going to the pool today to practice. Hopefully, I shall get better. Meanwhile, I hope you are all doing well.

See you around!

Sparrowhawk
Good! :thumb:

Just guessing, but I suspect that operating in the alien environment of scuba diving plus closing your eyes while you do the drill is just too much for you - for now - hence the panic.

You might try leaving your eyes open? I often do, in fresh or salt water. Not that bothersome to me.

If you continue to have problems, you might open a new thread on this on New Divers forum for a wider range of responses. God luck. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom