Hello From Iran - Persian Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I wish you success, the majority of your customers will be limited to those who live locally. for instance very few divers in the UAe dive the Musandam despite it being an easy drive to Dibba. If they're unwilling to make that journey they're even less likely to take a flight to Iran for diving. Going to visit for other reasons perhaps, but not diving.

Much as I love the Musandam and divign in the area, if I lived in Europe there are better destinations to spend my money on with easier travel routes

I think this sums it up. By the time you factor in politics, unpredictability and cost, as a solely diving affair it doesn't really look enticing. For general adventure travel with some diving thrown in, it's a different matter, but when people are holidaying exclusively or near-exclusively to dive, the majority don't want to be adventerous above the water.

That said, there are three markets I can see this working for:

* Backpackers: Love going off the beaten trail, and want to have a wide variety of experiences. They are less sensitive to possible disruption by politics as they often have a lot of time to play to with. Due to the length of the total holiday they are often price sensitive, but are happy to forego some of the physical and cultural comforts most Europeans want (though most will want some alcohol, so factor that in). Many packpackers like to add a bit of diving to their itinerary too - though are likely not massively experienced serious divers, so you'll want to make sure there's some easy and intermediate level guided dives for them.

* Adventure travellers: People keen to keen off the beaten track and try something new. Not usually looking to dive specifically, they are more there for the culture and "exploring the unknown". Often older and well off - often early retirees in their 50s who still use a bricks and mortar travel agent to tailor make a holiday. Not usually that interested in diving, more there for history and culture - though most also like wildlife encounters - think desert safari. These people have a big budget, and like to be on the "frontier" outside of the hotel, but accommodation has to be decent. Not Hiltonised sterile, bland luxury, but good quality - the epitome of "foreign but not too foreign". Think an up-market high-end "eco lodge" or "bedouin village" type affair.

* The local/domestic market: Obviously not my forte, you will know what Iranians want - but for a solely diving tour, this is going to be your best bet. Just have a good offer, price it right and make sure you've got a solid dive centre offering - and again, lots of nice glossy photos of the sites!

I think this sums it up. By the time you factor in politics, unpredictability and cost, as a solely diving affair it doesn't really look enticing. For general adventure travel with some diving thrown in, it's a different matter, but when people are holidaying exclusively or near-exclusively to dive, the majority don't want to be adventerous above the water.

That said, there are three markets I can see this working for:

* Backpackers: Love going off the beaten trail, and want to have a wide variety of experiences. They are less sensitive to possible disruption by politics as they often have a lot of time to play to with. Due to the length of the total holiday they are often price sensitive, but are happy to forego some of the physical and cultural comforts most Europeans want (though most will want some alcohol, so factor that in). Many packpackers like to add a bit of diving to their itinerary too - though are likely not massively experienced serious divers, so you'll want to make sure there's some easy and intermediate level guided dives for them.

* Adventure travellers: People keen to keen off the beaten track and try something new. Not usually looking to dive specifically, they are more there for the culture and "exploring the unknown". Often older and well off - often early retirees in their 50s who still use a bricks and mortar travel agent to tailor make a holiday. Not usually that interested in diving, more there for history and culture - though most also like wildlife encounters - think desert safari. These people have a big budget, and like to be on the "frontier" outside of the hotel, but accommodation has to be decent. Not Hiltonised sterile, bland luxury, but good quality - the epitome of "foreign but not too foreign". Think an up-market high-end "eco lodge" or "bedouin village" type affair.

* The local/domestic market: Obviously not my forte, you will know what Iranians want - but for a solely diving tour, this is going to be your best bet. Just have a good offer, price it right and make sure you've got a solid dive centre offering - and again, lots of nice glossy photos of the sites!
Hello dear Jasmine again. Sorry for the delay in answering.
In all the cases you have mentioned, I agree with you. You go deep in the topic and that is what out tram needed and looking for!
You are a great market analysis and strategist! (not kidding) and we need someone like you on our team. I don't know about your education and really is interesting for me that someone analysis a market like you. Also, don't know about your nationality, but if there is no limitation for Iran visa, we would like proudly to host you in Iran. Be our guest and work with an Iranian startup for a few days. and Thanks for your recommendations and marketing notes.
Good luck

Hello,

I have dived in Balochistan in Pakistan which is not far from Iran. There are some very good diving sites there such as Astola island. Due to political instability. there are not many photographs taken of that place like you would see of Red Sea, Maldives etc. Thus when you ask someone from these areas to show pictures, chances are that the video or pictures you will see will be from amateurs and these will not do the place justice.

Having said that, I doubt that there will be diving there that can compare to the Red Sea or Thailand. that region is situated between two giant competitors that have so much to offer that it will be hard for any other area to compete. If someone is there for hiking, mountain climbing or historical tourism then I think these regions will be a good place to tick off in your list. I am sure they will give anyone a bang for the buck.. Going there specifically for diving? I am not sure.

Hello,

I have dived in Balochistan in Pakistan which is not far from Iran. There are some very good diving sites there such as Astola island. Due to political instability. there are not many photographs taken of that place like you would see of Red Sea, Maldives etc. Thus when you ask someone from these areas to show pictures, chances are that the video or pictures you will see will be from amateurs and these will not do the place justice.

Having said that, I doubt that there will be diving there that can compare to the Red Sea or Thailand. that region is situated between two giant competitors that have so much to offer that it will be hard for any other area to compete. If someone is there for hiking, mountain climbing or historical tourism then I think these regions will be a good place to tick off in your list. I am sure they will give anyone a bang for the buck.. Going there specifically for diving? I am not sure.
Hello in advance and many thanks for your feedback.
Due to political instability, professional UW photographers not going to this area, am I correct? But the main question is this How many times a professional photographer wants to go to the Red Sea, Thailand or other famous sides around the world? Baluchistan may have political instability, even Balochistan of Iran is not safe enough, but what about Oman or other countries around the Persian Gulf?
I Agree with you, we have two or maybe more giant competitors for diving sites but I hope one day be one of the most attractive sites in the world.

What I meant was that if anyone on this forum was to judge the quality of diving from the video and pictures that you posted, then those are not tempting at all. Here is what you can do:

Find some of the most scenic dive sites that you believe offer the best diving in your area.

Offer a promotional package to any of the big name underwater photographers like Andy Martinez or David Haas etc. Give them free dives for say 5 days in return for the rights to their photos.

Make a website with those pictures along with the pictures of hotel and your dive boat so that people can see where they are diving and what they are seeing

Once that is up, you will have to price it on the lower end first just to bring in tourism. If your initial tourists like it then word will get around and more will come.

What I meant was that if anyone on this forum was to judge the quality of diving from the video and pictures that you posted, then those are not tempting at all. Here is what you can do:

Find some of the most scenic dive sites that you believe offer the best diving in your area.

Offer a promotional package to any of the big name underwater photographers like Andy Martinez or David Haas etc. Give them free dives for say 5 days in return for the rights to their photos.

Make a website with those pictures along with the pictures of hotel and your dive boat so that people can see where they are diving and what they are seeing

Once that is up, you will have to price it on the lower end first just to bring in tourism. If your initial tourists like it then word will get around and more will come.

What Sinbad says. Had a look around your instagram and while they are fun personal videos, you really do need professional undrwater photographers to get some "wow" shots. A good photographer is worth their weight in gold to sell any destination.

As an intereting case study of just how effective good photography is - look at Layang Layang resort in Malaysia. It's a militarised atoll (Swallow Reef) in the Spratley Islands - the most politicially contested waters in the world, and is a single isolated atoll that's almost devoid of vegetation, with one hotel sandwiched around a military outpost. People are falling over themselves to pay a fortune to get there, because they hold an annual underewater photography competition (with serious money as prizes), to attract the best photographers - their work sells the place a thousand times over. Even the photos on the wikipedia page make you want to be there:

Swallow Reef - Wikipedia
LAYANG LAYANG | DIVE SITES

Glad you find my take on things useful - I used to work in British travel agency and we did a lot of tailor mades, so I do see what you want to do, and despite sounding a bit negative, genuinely wish you all the best with it. I have an interest in history so have always envied the archaeological sites you guys have!

Thank you for your recommendation about promoting by professionals and this is another good feedback we look for. The videos I shared here, captured by an amateur person and a simple GoPro, which may not be suitable for UW photographing.
How can find these two people in social media, Andy Martinez or David Haas, before I decide to contact them and see some UW photo and films?

HiDeh: Are you a diver?
I don't think you are as your comments indicate so. Example: You say how often professional photographers go to the Red Sea? Answer is all the time not never. Above you state that simple GoPro may not be suitable for UW Photography. Yes GoPro is more a video camera but there have been some amazing shots of the UW world.

Perhaps you are just getting a feel for the divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom