Hello from Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheSherpa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings! I'm new to the underwater world (starting my OW cert with NAUI 07/26). My plan is to get my cert, and a lot of time in the water. I also want to volunteer at the nearby aquarium.

This being said, for 40-65° water should I be looking at a semi-dry 7mm/8mm? The aquarium diving would be in the smaller (cold water) exhibits to start. Should I be looking for BP/W or a jacket style for enclosed environment and OW (cold ocean) diving?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I learned to be a dive instructor in Maine after growing up there. My advice will always be a BPW is the most versatile rig that can be put together a hundred different ways to suit your diving style.

Advice number 2 is that you are going to want a drysuit. But rent a wetsuit or a semi-dry for sure and see how long you last. My cousins dive wet for scallops (recreational) and I gave up my urchin license, but after about 45 minutes in my semi-dry, I was huffing. The drysuit extended my dive times and comfort level immensely.

And while it's 65 on the surface, it rarely gets that warm 10 feet down.....

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I learned to be a dive instructor in Maine after growing up there. My advice will always be a BPW is the most versatile rig that can be put together a hundred different ways to suit your diving style.

Advice number 2 is that you are going to want a drysuit. But rent a wetsuit or a semi-dry for sure and see how long you last. My cousins dive wet for scallops (recreational) and I gave up my urchin license, but after about 45 minutes in my semi-dry, I was huffing. The drysuit extended my dive times and comfort level immensely.

And while it's 65 on the surface, it rarely gets that warm 10 feet down.....

Thanks for the info! I have a dry suit that I used to use to sail in when it was still cold, I'll have to find it and see if it fits. Would the 7/8mm be sufficient for the 40-50° in an aquarium?

For BP/W, any recommendations on package purchases?

Thanks for the info! I have a dry suit that I used to use to sail in when it was still cold, I'll have to find it and see if it fits. Would the 7/8mm be sufficient for the 40-50° in an aquarium?

For BP/W, any recommendations on package purchases?
Well, you'd have to visit your LDS to find a package. You in Boothbay? Pittsfield? Portland? Julie at Aqua Diving Academy is a friend of mine, but don't use my name, she will charge you double. I haven't bought dive gear in 10 years, so a package isn't something I am familiar with.

Depends on what you are doing at the aquarium. If you're in for hours cleaning glass, no. If you are spearing fish, no problem. :D

Cleaning glass and rocks to start. So a Semi-Dry with hood wouldn't work, I should be looking at a dry suit?

I am in the Portland area, but I am not against ordering online either.

I have a house in Camp Ellis, about a mile up the river. I guess that makes it Saco.

It isn't that it wouldn't work, just don't invest $500 in a good semi-dry until you know you can not chill to the point of discomfort.

I have a house in Camp Ellis, about a mile up the river. I guess that makes it Saco.

It isn't that it wouldn't work, just don't invest $500 in a good semi-dry until you know you can not chill to the point of discomfort.

Ah, I have a friend that rents out their B&B in camp ellis. I'll rent a semi-dry before I buy one :)

I have a solafx semi dry by aqualung. It's a good suit. However, even on one dive of 45 mins at nubble light a week ago, it's getting chilly at 60'. It's nice at 30' though. :) Extended time at 50F I'd certainly want a dry suit. I don't have one myself, but I dive mostly warm water now. Aqua diving academy can certainly fit you with all the gear you'd need. Do some research. BPW as wookie said can't go wrong. Get a good tried and tested reg set. Most computers will be fine. Get good fins, mask from the beginning. The fit of the mask is very important. I like choices, so I usually always go to ADA, even though I don't really buy gear anymore since I'm all outfitted.

Good luck!

I have a solafx semi dry by aqualung. It's a good suit. However, even on one dive of 45 mins at nubble light a week ago, it's getting chilly at 60'. It's nice at 30' though. :) Extended time at 50F I'd certainly want a dry suit. I don't have one myself, but I dive mostly warm water now. Aqua diving academy can certainly fit you with all the gear you'd need. Do some research. BPW as wookie said can't go wrong. Get a good tried and tested reg set. Most computers will be fine. Get good fins, mask from the beginning. The fit of the mask is very important. I like choices, so I usually always go to ADA, even though I don't really buy gear anymore since I'm all outfitted.

Good luck!

Thanks! What thickness semi-dry?

Welcome to SB and to diving! A 7mm semi-dry works fine for almost every month of diving for me in Maine waters, but you figure out what works best for your comfort level. I just balked at dropping big bucks on a drysuit when a semi-dry works for what I want out of local diving. Lots of good diving in the state! +1 on Aqua Diving Academy in Portland. Good people there. Also check out the Portland scuba club (Maine-iacs Scuba Diving club -Portland Maine (Portland, ME))
Holler out if you are ever up around the mid-coast area, got some good sites up here too!
Dive safe,
Chip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom