Hello, I'm JW from Hong Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JW Wong @jale
Thank you for the response and update

The Liu brothers lead by Bun (Bunny} were giants in on the world stage of recreational diving,, So far as I can recall they were the pioneers of diving in HK and had HKs very first dive shop.

It was reported it was Bun who in the 1950s created a very rugged simple unequaled 2 hose regulator. In 1963 when SCUBA Pro, had sent one of the founders Gus De la Valle searching the world for products to market in their infant company. He seriously considered the Buns 2 hose regulator but decided to concentrate on single hose regulators.

A short time later Typhoon of Great Britain began importing the regulator to the UK and rebranding it as the Typhoon 2 hose regulator.. It had an uneventful demise with the advent of the single hose regulator.

We last visited HK in 2000 during the transition and the fire works over the harbor for the new year

At that time I spent a day and a half with Kit liu.. His shop was very modern well stocked and certainly well managed. He informed me that at that time he was the largest wet suit manufacturer in the world with a number of plants in China and SE Asia and was supping a number of American dive companies with their wet suits.

I suspect all the Lui brothers have passed on and their operation other than the shop that bears the Buns name has disappeared.

I was honored and surprised when Kit presented me with and autographed copy of the 1983, 80 page sliver - 25th- anniversary edition of the HK Sea Dragons Skin diving club. program. It was a club and an event that will never again be equaled.

We would like to visit Hong Kong again but I fear time and age will prevent another visit - but I certainly have fond memories of the last visit.

Sam Miller III
cc
@Akimbo

@JW Wong @jale
Thank you for the response and update

The Liu brothers lead by Bun (Bunny} were giants in on the world stage of recreational diving,, So far as I can recall they were the pioneers of diving in HK and had HKs very first dive shop.

It was reported it was Bun who in the 1950s created a very rugged simple unequaled 2 hose regulator. In 1963 when SCUBA Pro, had sent one of the founders Gus De la Valle searching the world for products to market in their infant company. He seriously considered the Buns 2 hose regulator but decided to concentrate on single hose regulators.

A short time later Typhoon of Great Britain began importing the regulator to the UK and rebranding it as the Typhoon 2 hose regulator.. It had an uneventful demise with the advent of the single hose regulator.

We last visited HK in 2000 during the transition and the fire works over the harbor for the new year

At that time I spent a day and a half with Kit liu.. His shop was very modern well stocked and certainly well managed. He informed me that at that time he was the largest wet suit manufacturer in the world with a number of plants in China and SE Asia and was supping a number of American dive companies with their wet suits.

I suspect all the Lui brothers have passed on and their operation other than the shop that bears the Buns name has disappeared.

I was honored and surprised when Kit presented me with and autographed copy of the 1983, 80 page sliver - 25th- anniversary edition of the HK Sea Dragons Skin diving club. program. It was a club and an event that will never again be equaled.

We would like to visit Hong Kong again but I fear time and age will prevent another visit - but I certainly have fond memories of the last visit.

Sam Miller III
cc
@Akimbo

Hi Sam,

Thank you for sharing a lot of memories of your with the Buns and Hong Kong! It is something valuable about your experience toward that time and I’m glad to hear that...

All the best and take care
JW

@JW Wong
The Liu brothers known to the western world as Bunny , Billy and Kittie liu but well known in Hong Kong as
Bun, brother Billy as M P Liu and brother Kittie as M K Liu.--I some how suspect they have all passed away.
But should be honored as the true [pioneers of Hong Kong diving .

I also suspect the Sea Dragons dive club has also disbanded and forgotten by all but a precious few and their numbers must be dwindling by now-- It is the march of time..

Cheers from California

Sam Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom