Helmet lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So, I'm currently using HOG piglet LED lights on my helmet. Thinking there has got to be a decent light with a push button operation as I'd like the ability to turn on/off the lights with one hand. I can do this currently but they twist in the mounts until the bolt snap stops them, it's just a pain. Looking for recommendations.....

Cave Adventurers Explorer lights are the best/most reliable ones I have found. Not the cheapest, but they work and last.... some of the less expensive ones I have had just aren't lasting but the Explorers are going on 3 years now on my helmet

I think I've seen @tbone1004 recommend these:

Cave Adventurers - Explorer back-up lights - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! - $120

I like this (but I have never helmet-mounted any light):

XTAR D26 XM-L2 LED Diving Flashlight - $79 here, $63 on eBay

And I would also consider this:

DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Spot Beam - $55

The DGX has a tail cap push button. The other 2 have a side button.

The Xtar light uses one 26650 battery. The other 2 use one 18650 battery.

The DGX light only has one brightness level. The Xtar has multiple brightness settings. I don't know about the CA light.

DGX tail push is the same light as the Securitying one that is on amazon for like $35 but without battery and charger. Much better to buy the securitying ones with the big panasonic batteries and a nitecore or opus charger. Few dollars more, but not significantly.
Pair of the DGX is $110
Pair of Securitying is $68+75 if you get 4x batteries and Opus charger is $143. Comes out cheaper if you get a 2 slot Nitecore charger and pair of Panasonic batteries from li-ion wholesale which is a better charger and battery than comes stock.

Oh, of note. I use video lights on my helmet and a spot on my wrist for cave diving. I didn't like the spot lights on my helmet as much but to each his own. If diving in murky water you probably don't want them on all the time due to backscatter

I use two Big Blue CF1200P's mounted to either side of a helmet that I fabricated from a youth bicycle helmet (bought at Walmart). I found a guy on Shapeways.com to design and 3-D print a GoPro mount for the flashlights.

GoPro Mount for CF1200P Dive Light by Smileynulk on Shapeways

The mounting bases on the helmet are 360° swivel mounts. I chose the GoPro brand swivel mounts because they are much better quality than any of the other swivel mounts I found out there (and as you can guess much higher in price). The 360° swivel mounts allow me to put the lights at any angle I need them. The helmet has vents in the back which are perfect for looping the flashlight lanyards through (just in case a mount were to fail).

Admittedly, extreme overkill. The GoPro flashlight mounts I had the guy make for me are brutally expensive ($20 each). But, I liked the CF1200Ps, I'm a fabricator at heart, and I just wanted to see if it could be done.

I like the CF1200Ps because they provide a lot of light and they have an adjustable beam so, I can use them in spot or flood depending on the need. When I don't use the helmet, I carry one of the CF1200Ps as a secondary light in my BCD pocket with my primary (BB TL3100P) on a Goodman handle. And, I leave the flashlight part of the GoPro mount permanently attached to the light. It doesn't change the profile of the light enough to interfere with its use or getting in and out of my BCD pocket.

I've tested it several times and it works great. I most recently tested the setup in a school bus at the bottom of a quarry. I'm looking forward to testing on a night dive and during a dive in the Cooper River in a few weeks. I'll see if I can assemble the helmet and lights tonight and snap some pictures to post here.

I got a bunch of Brinyte DIV12- handheld portable dive light they have a decent beam, easy to use switches - for helmets, and are very economical. Two on the helmet, one in the sidemount pocket... plus the primary.

20151230064319_23574.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom