Helmets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNawman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is everyones opinion for helmet mounted lights in cave diving? What is the DIR stance on helmets. I don't see why you would need one except for mounting lights. It seems to make sense because your light would always be pointed where your looking. I think if your going to look at your buddy, you wouldn't have to look directly into his face with your lights in order to see him/her. It would also seem easier to untangle yourself with the light pointed at what you are looking at instead of on your hand while manipulating the string. Hopefully I don't sound like a total moron. I would rather hear your opinions here on SB than to show up at a cave wearing a helmet and get beat up in front of everyone.

Some people wear helmets when scootering in restrictive caves. Some do not. Europeans tend to wear helmets, with lights mounted on them more than US divers do. Some very famous international cavers, such as Dr. Jerome Meynie, use them.

You do have to have a certain amount more discipline about where you are looking if you have lights that are head-mounted. The automatic tendency is to forget about them, and look directly at your buddy's face by accident.

My instructor was John Orlowski, and his answer was: "No. Do not wear head-mounted lights, and only wear a helmet when scootering, if you feel you need it."

I'll let the DIR folks answer for themselves, but the real answer is that they have their uses, and their pro's and con's. Chaque au a son gout! (Beg pardon for the spelling.)

Just my ppO2's worth.

Great idea if you're diving caves w/ crystal clear water.

Otherwise silt and micro critters gather in front of your face and cause a lot of glare.

In the dry caving world this acceptable,but typically frowned on by cave divers since you light is a primary method of communication. For example during a dive I will rarely see my dive buddy when leading,but we will commuicate by light-an "ok" sign is a circle with light,imagining having to do that with your head. Also if I communicate with hand signals I will have to put my hand up to head level to illuminate my hand,which in a small cave could be very difficult. If you look at your buddy with a helmet mounted light,you'll have a tendency to blind him;this will take away your ability to look at your buddy but have your light askew. On occasions when I am doing surveying I might use a small mask mounted light to illuminate my slate,but never a helmet mounted light.

Thanks guys, I didnt think about silt, but it does make sense, sorta like fog lights. I didn't think about scooters either because I may never be able to afford one. I'll look for a light to go on my hand.

The lights for communication thing is important in U/W caves. There is a standing joke in the cave diving world that says if you need to wear a helmet then you better improve on your skill.

I do suggest wearing a hood though

When the vis is measured in inches, helmets are a great thing and lights become optional. :)

i'll make you a good deal on my old helmet. barely used and a light mount on each side.

As a non-cave diver just casually observing from the outside it seems like people come to cave diving from two directions ----

divers that start diving caves, and
dry cave explorers that start diving.

Cavers are used to using helmets and head mounted lights while crawling through caves. They've learned how to not blind their buddies. Often they are used to crawling through restricted spaces and continue to do once they strap on scuba gear.

People who are divers first, and then start exploring relatively clear, wide limestone caves will have a different experience base and use different techniques.

I wear a very small backup light attached to my mask. I use it only when i need both hands. Such as attaching a jumper line or whatever. Other then that it is off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom