HELP!!!!!! Can I only use a Poseidon octopus with a Poseidon setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Can I only use a Poseidon octopus with a Poseidon regulator setup? I thought I saw someone mention something(all gets too confusing!) about higher first stage pressure in the Poseidon's requiring one to use ONLY Poseidon octopuses(or pus's-or something like that).....I'm counting on the group dynamic here.

Mike

I don't know about the older Posiedons, but my newer Odin has a recommended IP of like 130-150psi. Mine is factory set at 140psi which is where most regs are set at. My Zeagle is factory set at 140.

Mike

The new Abyss Reg uses a Posiedon 1st stage with a, (forgot the name of 2nd stage). They use the Posiedon 1st stage due to the fact it is adjustable down to about 100 psi. This makes it a great reg for the tech community. Haven't seen any test results on it though.

Maybe Rainreg will come up and give you further information.

ID

Hey guys, I have heard the same information as listed above but there has been no offical data yet on performance, I will stick by the recommmendation to only use poseidon second stages with poseidon firsts. as soon as the offical info on the performance of the interchangeable comes out I will list it on a post.

Once again, the real answer is No, No and No. Poseidon makes and service techs tune those first stages at 150 to 170 psi. Look at a real service manual. Part of the high preformance of the reg is due to the higher interm. pressure. " Duh!" You can put whatever brand of whatever on for the octopus >>>>>>>THEN>>>>>>you can detune the first stage pressure so it will work. The result is you have just destroyed the preformance of your primary regulator by turning down the pressure. That's why you should bite the bullet and buy a Poseidon Octo. How much is your safety worth?? You can E-mail me and I can put you in touch with probally the best Poseidon tech in the country if you want to know more. Trust me on this is a critical issue, dont take it lightly...... Take Care,

Ken

They use Posiedons up here tuned from 120-140 with no problems at all for deep cold water diving. All my Odins came from the factory set at 140. I suggest you call Posiedon themselves and ask them, but I know for a fact that you can use any first stage with a Posiedon second, but do what ever you're comfortable with. I know a guy who is buying an Apex first stage this week to use with his Odin second.

Good luck.

Mike

There is quite a bit more safety designed into a matched set-up. There is quite a bit more performance to be had in a matched set-up. The way a first stage performs or doesn't perform with a mis-matched second depends on a lot more things than just iterm. pressure. BTW The Cyklon regs which have been the flagship of Poseidon for 35 years all have 170psi inter. pressure. Where do you want to be when the higher pressure starts causing problems? A lot of divers out there think they can out trick the factory and that's when trouble starts.

Ken

I got the Jetstream octopus. I like the idea of a back-up regulator that you can just hand to a buddy regardless of what position they are, or I am in the water. I am all set to dive on Lake Superior!!!-just need a bucket of hot H2O to pour down my suit.

In all honesty, I can't stand the Posiedons other than their reliability in cold water. I use mine as a back up under my chin because I know it won't freeze up. They are widely used up here for Lake Superior and have a decent track record. Most of my commercial buddies use them for work year around and put thousands of hours on them. They're finicky, expensive to fix, and IMO uncomfortable, but they'll throw ice in your throat before they'll freeze.

Wet suit and Superior, I feel sorry for you.

Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom