Help !! Decision on Natural Gas Port off LBTS is close.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronbeau,

My reasoning is simple. Theres always alot of positive details spoken on the side the companies to profit. And I must say, this sounds similiar to what is happening with our gas situation in this country. Even if we were to start drilling today, it could take up to 10 years to see anything that effects the country. Additionally, the drop in gas prices would be only be cents, not even 10's of cents. Now is that worth risking a Exxon Valdez situation ? And you can come back with the likely hood of that happening. But again, it does happen, and just did. Additionally, as Im typing this there was a explosion at a propane facility in Toronto, check todays news. These things happen. Again, think of what would happen to the South Florida economy if something bad happened ONE TIME. There's no taking it back at that point.

I dont want to sit here and get into a pissing contest with anyone. My rational is this, after ONE accident, you cant take it back, it's to late. All the details you and I can research and write back to one another wont be worth crap, it'll be to late, not for everyone though, a energy company will have probably profited greatly by that point, kinda like what your seeing with the oil companies.

We have to respect the environment. We cant always just write it off as progress.

My reasoning - Patrick

Ronbeau,

My reasoning is simple. Theres always alot of positive details spoken on the side the companies to profit. And I must say, this sounds similiar to what is happening with our gas situation in this country. Even if we were to start drilling today, it could take up to 10 years to see anything that effects the country. Additionally, the drop in gas prices would be only be cents, not even 10's of cents. Now is that worth risking a Exxon Valdez situation ? And you can come back with the likely hood of that happening. But again, it does happen, and just did. Additionally, as Im typing this there was a explosion at a propane facility in Toronto, check todays news. These things happen. Again, think of what would happen to the South Florida economy if something bad happened ONE TIME. There's no taking it back at that point.

I dont want to sit here and get into a pissing contest with anyone. My rational is this, after ONE accident, you cant take it back, it's to late. All the details you and I can research and write back to one another wont be worth crap, it'll be to late, not for everyone though, a energy company will have probably profited greatly by that point, kinda like what your seeing with the oil companies.

We have to respect the environment. We cant always just write it off as progress.

My reasoning - Patrick

Sooo would you rather have the gas plant blow up 10 miles offshore or on land?

Even if we were to start drilling today, it could take up to 10 years to see anything that effects the country.
And if we had drilled 10 years ago .......
Or alternatively, think about what we will all be saying 10 years from now ------ "even if we were to start drilling today, ...."

Additionally, as Im typing this there was a explosion at a propane facility in Toronto, check todays news. These things happen.
You might look a little deeper and figure out the difference between a LNG deepwater port and a "distributor of propane, industrial gases, oxygen, carbon dioxide, argon, helium, balloons, gases, industrial, welding, mig welder, welder, tig welder, tig, electrodes." Sunrise Propane Industrial Gases - Home Page

It's kind of like pointing at a spectacular fire and explosion at the local gasoline station and thinking that this is relevant to an oil well or refinery.
Where would you prefer to have the big accident -- In Port Everglades or 8-10 miles offshore? IMO moving LNG facilities offshore is a GOOD idea.

Deepstops,

Apparently, it doesnt just evaporate. Occording to the pdf provided by USCG there were approximately 25 incidents with LNG. 13 were classified as SPILLS. Another 3 were classified as N/A ? Seems like statistically, the majority are spills.

It's a liquefied gas, when you take away the pressure to make it a liquid (a leak or a spill), it simply evaporates.

Mother nature have nature gas fields that bubble methane and other natural gases from the ocean floor to the surface. It just comes up as bubble and really do not affect the water. LNG will not stay a liquid if not pressurized. it will become an airborne gas, and go into the air. Like when a volcano release gases into the air.

Personally, Id rather see it here on land. And more specifically, Port Everglades. Which is about 5 miles from where I live. I think that it would initially be a more stable environment to be constructed in the first place. Also I think if something were to happen it would have less of an impact. If we lose are reefs and our beaches, then its a chain reaction to the community.

PS.

The second option is to buy your natural gas from the middle east and pay through the teeth for it. And have huge LNG carrier sail into to the ports, which is a huge target, and if one of those go, so goes the port. It will burn, it will blow up.

If you are on the saving the environment side, burning the coal or oil to produce the same amount of power that the LNG will make, you will end up killing the environment even more. Look at the CO2 emission of LNG vs coal or oil. There is a huge different in CO2 production between LNG and the other two. Do your research, that is why so many cities have go to LNG to power their Mass Transite Systems. It is way cleaner.

Deepstops,

Apparently, it doesnt just evaporate. Occording to the pdf provided by USCG there were approximately 25 incidents with LNG. 13 were classified as SPILLS. Another 3 were classified as N/A ? Seems like statistically, the majority are spills.

It spills then evaporates. LIQUIFIED Natural Gas.According to USCG largest spill is 30 meters then evaporates, but can sustain fire for short period.

How can fossil fuels be the answer? :confused:What about CO2 do we really want to support emissions of more greenhouse gasses?:shakehead:

There must be a solution not the same problems.:popcorn:

How can fossil fuels be the answer? :confused:What about CO2 do we really want to support emissions of more greenhouse gasses?:shakehead:

There must be a solution not the same problems.:popcorn:

LNG is a better choice then the other fuel sources right now. It produces allot less greenhouse gases as oil and coal. The better solution to LNG is nuclear. 0 greenhouse gas emission. So where do you want to put one up in FLA.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom