The town meeting regarding the Calypso LNG Gas Port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops, are you in the engineering field?? Just curious. As I have stated, I am an EIT.

Yes I am. I'm an EE with dual minors in mechanical and manufacturing engineering. My job is primarily failure analysis and sustaining engineering for a clinical diagnostic company. I manage the company's line of blood gas/blood CO-oximeters, flame photometers, and hemostasis instruments.

Bravo.... Your accolades speak for themselves. As an EIT (albeit with my limited knowledge), I applaud your persistence to enlighten these few and challenge the many that seem to have the alt. fuel answer.

Bravo.... Your accolades speak for themselves. As an EIT (albeit with my limited knowledge), I applaud your persistence to enlighten these few and challenge the many that seem to have the alt. fuel answer.

Thank you.

As an EIT, I'm sure you've formed a solid understanding of the Principles of Engineering that are the backbone of engineering overall. It's pretty cool when you understand "why things are" rather simply accept things as they're stated to be, isn't it?? :)

In addition to my engineering background, I've also held an 180 ton unlimited USCG license working part-time in both the private and commercial sector. That's actually how I got in to diving. One owner was having reliability issues with the bottom cleaner and paid for my scuba lessons so I could take over the responsibility. Little did either of us know how my passion for diving would shortly thereafter take over the time I was spending on boats so I could swim below them :)

Ok then if not today then when? How much longer do we just stick our head in the sand?

Who's sticking their head in the sand? I don't see where anybody stated that alternative energy should not be a priority. Do you think developing new, more effective ways of using fossil fuel and developing alt. energy are mutually exclusive?

Texas, in fact, is developing a wind farm on an abandoned oil platform. TEXAS! Of course it's delayed while they try to figure out if migratory birds will fly into the thing. Sheesh.

Texas Grants Lease for Gulf of Mexico Wind Project

And just another point to ponder. Do you think fossil fuels are only used for energy? Think again. The keyboard you type on? Petroleum based. Everything on your computer and monitor not made of metal? Petroleum. Have carpet in your house? Petroleum. (unless of course you are rich enough to have wool, cotton or silk) Everything on your car not made of metal, including the air bag and seatbelts? Petroleum (want to go without them too?). Your bicycle seat? Petroleum. Your tupperware, garbage bags, storage bags...petroleum. Your BC, wetsuit, fins, dive computer, mask, tank valve handle, tank boot, dive light, gloves, booties...you guessed it, petroleum.

Anything made of plastic has petroleum as it's base. We simply CANNOT live without it at present. Research is ongoing for other oil bases, but it's not here today, and won't be by tomorrow either. Think corn is the answer? Well maybe, but right now it's so inefficient, we couldn't meet demand even if we converted all our food crops to industrial. And think what that would do to the price of corn! I won't go into all the different foods that use corn. Again, that doesn't mean they're not TRYING, moving forward, making progress.

If you want to be fossil fuel independent, you're going to have to go live in a cave, walk everywhere and only talk to people face to face.

ONESPEED--- I will call you out as well. By any chance are you an IEEE member or a Tau Beta Pi member??????----just curious.

No to both, just an average Joe who's more than willing to hear both sides of an argument when, and only when those making the statements have some semblance of an idea what they are talking about. While my business is currently utilizing energy recovery systems I am not personally involved in Engineering.

If a real solution was put forward I would back it 100%. If we just had a plan, but we don’t. All I have seen up to this point is different ways to re-dress fossil fuels. This is not expectable.
You see I look into the future thru the eyes of my children and grandchildren. I will live on thru them, and if someone would put a plan on the table to cut out use of fossil fuels I would back it 100%. I am not all about the here and now as most of you are. I am about our future and the future of our children/grandchildren.
If a plan was laid out that said each household has to reduce by 40% so we could pull away from the use of fossil fuels, I think I could do that. I would defiantly give it my best try. As it stands right I rush to get my children certified so that I can show them what a coral reef looks like before the gone. It is a sad day.

As it stands right I rush to get my children certified so that I can show them what a coral reef looks like before the gone. It is a sad day.

Fossil fuels are causing coral reefs to migrate? :11:

Fossil fuels are costing us our young people, and I for one am sick of setting back and watching politicians think of new ways to sell the public the “Fossil Fuel Package” How gullible the American people have become. You guys are perfect examples.
When your son or daughter sits in Iraq or Afghanistan to defend our fossil fuels, they I will listen to this hog wash you spout out but not until then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom