Help! DSS Torus Wing Anatomy: Inflator Flange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfmatthews

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All. I’m a frequent lurker and Emporium shopper, but an infrequent poster who needs a hand.

I have a Torus 17 wing that’s still going strong after many dives. After a recent trip, I heard an odd rattle inside the wing. After disconnecting the inflator elbow, I was able to recover this . . .

View media item 208745
Although the wing is still functional, it looks to me like a portion of the bottom nut for the inflator hose flange. Do the wing doctors agree?

Before I open things up, I’d love to hear from other DSS wing repairers on how the inflator hose flange attaches to these wings.

Is it the two part style (available via DGX) that screws together sandwiching a gasket?
DGX Bladder Flange Assembly | Dive Gear Express®

Is it mated to the bladder? Who’s ready to tackle this with me? Many thanks in advance!!

Bump. Anyone have experience replacing a DSS inflator flange? Doable? Many thanks!

I haven't messed with DSS stuff, but rehabbed a couple old zeagle wings and built a couple from scratch. What you pictured looks a lot like the DGX flange inner piece, like you said. If that's what it is you should be able to feel where the broken piece is through the fabric of the bladder (gently, don't want to tear it against a potentially jagged plastic edge). Once you identify which flange (elbow or dump valve) I would disassemble that flange and as long as the hole for it in the bladder is approximately 1 inch diameter then the DGX flange should fit. Then the only question is whether the dump valve (or elbow ring) threads are the same as the DGX, but if not both those items are cheap. If you have or have access to a 3d printer, there is also a list of printable parts in the DIY subforum.

Pictures to follow... Hope this is of help

James

Attached are pictures of the DGX flange to and bottom, and a 3d printed set with elbow and dump valve, and the DGX set with tools as used.
The inner piece of the flange will fit through the 1 inch opening in a bladder on edge. I left out the gasket in the pictures.
20190917_153558.jpg 20190917_153609.jpg 20190917_153630.jpg 20190917_153640.jpg 20190917_153711.jpg

I’m not 100% but I think the DSS wings are not a separate bladder in a cover, this makes repairs like that difficult. I’ll check one of my wings when I get a chance.

As long as the flange isn't welded, it should be ok. The DGX style flange works fine on a single layer.
If it's a welded/glued flange, then it's down to whether the remains of the old flange can be removed cleanly enough to get a food seal.

Thanks Team! Much appreciated. Would be great to confirm if it’s welded in before ordering parts and tools.

I’m not 100% but I think the DSS wings are not a separate bladder in a cover, this makes repairs like that difficult. I’ll check one of my wings when I get a chance.

Thanks so much!

full.jpg

I can't remember, what was Seinfeld about

If you want, I can print a new set or send you my tools (they're 3d printed) so you can pull it apart, if you decide to go a different route you can mail the tools back, if you want to keep them send me a couple bucks or just help the next guy out.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom