Help feeling overwhelmed....!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leezy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Help feeling overwhelmed....!!
Hi

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the choice of compacts I am just starting out with underwater
photography not sure what to go for a quite like the look of canon s95 or panasonic tz20... what do you think
has anybody had exp with these cameras or should I consider other alternatives...?

Thanks

I have an s90 and used it with the canon case. I have moved up to a GF2 and 10bar (only a bit more until I finally get to use it!!! Woo!)

Let's put it this way, the s95 is a fantastic camera and works extremely well underwater (raw only please, then you can forget worrying about lossy white balance.) If you want to save on cost, this is the best option under the sun, or water. TZ20 is great but more expensive as a package, if I remember the prices right, but is arguably a better camera.

If you are thinking about the longer term upgrade path, don't worry about the upgrade bug if money is tight. Get the s95, it will NOT do you wrong under water, and you can pocket it on times you are not diving. Or if you like the ergonomics of the tz20 and its cases, go that route. No issues whatsoever.

Just make sure the extra money you have goes to light. Thats the biggest thing you need since both of these cameras have small sensors, though not as small as most. This is both good and bad, but suffice it to say light is a challenge at depth and the more you can come up with the better. A strobe, or pair of strobes, is the best upgrade you can provide. If you plan on doing shallow dives, you can get by without. If you are going 50+ft... strobe.

If you have any questions, ask away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom