Help finding seahorses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the tips! We'll get to put them to the test in a couple of months!!

we couldn't scuba any slower!
Yes. Yes, you can. People on a mission look almost frenetic in their search. You can go even slower.

This little guy here was hanging out in the shallows near the public entry at Bari Reef, near the ruins of the old concrete structure, a few years ago. While I was casually (i.e not obviously) watching it several divers and snorkelers passed through the area and never even knew it was there.

View attachment 455051

View attachment 455052
I've never found one by myself, but I did see that same seahorse at Bari Reef!

I've only ever found 1 frogfish, a white one on a small white piece of dead coral in 15 ft of water, also on Bari Reef. A friend who has done over 6000 dives, most of them on Bonaire, has never found a frogfish by himself, so I don't feel so bad. We were on Bonaire for 5 wks this Jan/Feb and saw neither a frogfish nor a seahorse.

Talk with other divers, dms, your host or property owners when on the island. Over a drink with property owners on when of our trips to BON we mentioned that we had not seen a frogfish or seahorse. The owner mentioned that there were both seen recently at a site, drew us a map on the back of a bar napkin and gave us instruction. We were skeptical but the next day we were off and sure enough there they were. (It was at the Divi house reef, on a coral formation and wire debris under each of the sailboats that were moored there. Good luck and happy searching).

You are just as likely to see a seahorse around a debris pile as you are on a picture perfect reef.
I know this isn't the Coco View / Roatan forum but I have seen the most there of anywhere I have dived.

You are just as likely to see a seahorse around a debris pile as you are on a picture perfect reef.
I know this isn't the Coco View / Roatan forum but I have seen the most there of anywhere I have dived.
We were taken to a Roatan site and shown 13 seahorses by a Coco View DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom