Help! Fl keys diver moving to Lubbock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,
I must disagree with you here. If a fajita is offered with anything other than steak, it ain't a fajita. I don't know what it is; but it ain't a fajita.
How are we disagreeing? That's about what I said.

Apologies Don.
It just seemed to me that you gave credit to pork, chicken and other meats. My apologies. While biologically, those other items are techincally "meat"; it is not really meat unless it's beef :D

Those other items are some sort of vetarinarian (veggggitttarrrnneannn) substance. My apologies to vetarinarians, who perfrom a very worthwhile, respectable, honorable, necceasary, and respectible function. I can't pronounce the word vedgggiitttarnnarerrerean. It's a speech impediment thing with me. Sorry.

In Case No One has provided these to you...

Rules to Enter Texas

The following list of rules applies to each person as they enter Texas.
Learn 'em & remember 'em.

1. Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Let's get this straight; it's called a "gravel road". I drive a
pickup truck because I need to. No matter how slow you drive, you're
going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

3. They are pigs, cattle & oil wells. That's what they smell like to
you. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-20 and
I-10 go east and west, I-35 goes north and south. Pick one.

4. So you have a $60,000 dollar car. We're impressed. We have
quarter-million dollar cotton strippers that we drive 3 weeks a year.

5. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly.
Try to understand the concept.

6. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of doves are coming in, we
WILL shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your
ear at the time.

7. Yeah, we eat catfish & crawdads. You really want sushi & caviar?
It's available at the corner bait shop.

8. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a
religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

9. We open doors for women. That is applied to everyone, regardless of
age.

10. No, there's no "vegetarian special" on the menu. Order steak.
Or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of
ham & turkey.

11. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats,
vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and Pace
Picante Sauce.

12. You bring "coke" into my house, it better be brown, wet, served
over ice. You bring "Mary Jane" into my house, she better be cute, know how to
shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

13. High School Football is as important here as the Lakers and the
Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

14. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit the water hazards - it
spooks the fish.

15. Colleges? Try Texas. They come outta there with an education
plus a love for God and country, and they still wave at passing pickups
when they come for the holidays.

16. We have more folks in the Navy, Army, Marines, and Air Force than
any other state, so "Don't Mess with Texas." If you do, it will get
your butt whipped by the best.

17. Always remember what our great governor Sam Houston once said:
"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States
can't make it without Texas."

GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!

Thanks for the tips. Just for the record I grew up in Pennsylvania and I an on board with most of these rules.
1. My Levis will always cover my boxars.
2. The lane to the farm I grew up on was gravel on a good day, mud on most. I haven't washed my 13 year old Ford pick-up in a year.
3.I grew up shoveling menuer.
4, See 2
5. Howdy
6. I prefer to spear fish, but fair enough.
7. I like craw fish, not big on catfish but when it comes to sushi and caviar I am on the same page as Terry Bradshaw, Where I come from they call this Bait.
8. In Pa this is a holiday, business and schools close. ( As they should)
9. My mama brought me up right and when I was foolish enough to not get the message, my daddy's belt reinforced the message. (And no, I do not think I was abused)
10. 16 oz. ribeye rare please!
11. I repeat, farm boy
12. Things that get me high: my daughter, diving, running
13. I am from Pa. of course I love fooball at any level. You all will just have to put up with the steeler plate on the front of my truck.
14. Can I dive the hazzards?
15. I will be working for Texas Tech's hospital.
16. Yes sir!
17. He was right.

May I enter?

Safe dives
trtldvr

You'll fit fine in Lubbock. Do hope you'll go out to meet the folks at Southwest Aqua Sports. Hard to say who will be there Saturdays, closed Sundays & Mondays, but Rachelle should be there other weekdays.

Nah, Gen/President Houston was a good leader and hard fighter for a drunk, but not that great in peacetime politics. He just barely won at San Jacinto when Gen Santa Anna screwed up a few times, but the US Calvary was on the Louisiana border ready to fight if he got that far in his retreat, or if they got invasion orders. Some of the politics behind Texas leaving Mexico was long range plan to join the Union, but in our years as a Republic - we really were foundering in some ways, especially financially. We joined the Union partly because we needed to; they annexed us partly to expand their movement to take other Mexican lands west as happened in the Mexican American War from 1846 to 1848 in the wake of the 1845 U.S. annexation of Texas.
The most important consequences of the war for the United States were the Mexican terms of surrender under the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, in which the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico were ceded to the United States. In Mexico, the enormous loss of territory following the war encouraged its government to enact policies to colonize its remaining northern territories as a hedge against further losses. In addition the Rio Grande became the boundary between Texas and Mexico, and Mexico never again claimed ownership of Texas.
Apologies Don.
It just seemed to me that you gave credit to pork, chicken and other meats. My apologies. While biologically, those other items are techincally "meat"; it is not really meat unless it's beef :D

Those other items are some sort of vetarinarian (veggggitttarrrnneannn) substance. My apologies to vetarinarians, who perfrom a very worthwhile, respectable, honorable, necceasary, and respectible function. I can't pronounce the word vedgggiitttarnnarerrerean. It's a speech impediment thing with me. Sorry.
No problem. I didn't state it clearly enough perhaps, wasn't making a real case, but in part I said: "A true fajita is made from skirt steak...'Everything else is tacos al carbon, chicken girdles, and shrimp belts.'" Or you might say if it's made with ground beef, it's a taco; with pork/the other white meat, chicken or shrimp, it's a white meat taco or burrito maybe. The word fajita is derived from the Spanish for skirt steak.
In Spanish, fajita is the diminutive form of the word faja (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈfaxa]) which translates to "belt" or "girdle" in English. Butchers along the Texas border with Mexico used the word to refer to the diaphragm muscle of a steer. Researchers found references to Mexicans ranch hands eating this cut of beef in a tortilla with condiments as early as the 1930s but the word fajita is not known to have appeared in print until 1971, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. In a Mexican Cookery Book published in the Southwest in 1980 there is still no mention of fajitas. Newspaper advertisements for fajitas began appearing in regional newspapers in Texas in 1975.
Actually, I wonder if anyone really uses the diaphragm or belly steak anymore?

Last edited:
13. I am from Pa. of course I love fooball at any level. You all will just have to put up with the steeler plate on the front of my truck.
trtldvr

HAHAHA - Steelers are better than Penn State :wink:

No problem...it won't last....Texas is a two plate state...and while most cops will tolerate no plate or some variant of A&M, TT, Dallas Cowboys.....a Steeler plate is gonna get you a ticket....:wink:

PS - Don't fly A&M in Lubbock.....ask someone which way the horse's ass is pointing....

No problem...it won't last....Texas is a two plate state...and while most cops will tolerate no plate or some variant of A&M, TT, Dallas Cowboys.....a Steeler plate is gonna get you a ticket....:wink:

PS - Don't fly A&M in Lubbock.....ask someone which way the horse's ass is
pointing....

I know, Lubbock is TT country

Trtl,
I'm headed back to the Keys for ITK and to deposit a KW 'native' friend of mine who got swept westward in he past year... If you need a ride back home, I'd be glad to offer it to you.. Thou, I'm not sure I will be returning myself after diving and living the lifestyle for an extended period of time.

I grew up a Broncos fan in Lubbock, people will give you a hard time now and then (especially if your team loses three Super Bowls) but it's all in fun. It's just like anywhere else, give it back and they like you for it.

I'm with the others who mentioned Southwest Aqua Sports, they're the best operation in town. The enthusiasm and customer service beat the other place hands down. Rachelle Seay is possibly one of the friendliest people I have ever met. You've seen the other replies regarding the limited options for diving so I won't repeat those.

It's going to be a culture shock but it's a nice town if you can get used to the scenery or lack there of. The people are exceptionally friendly and polite, the cost of living is low and it has everything a big city does but on a smaller scale. Not to mention the medical industry is huge so that's a plus for you.

I hope you are able to look past the negatives that people are fast to point out and enjoy what I think is a really nice town. If you want any advice on things to do in and around town, PM me.

P.S.- The city doesn't ration water, it just has the same grass watering restrictions that you will see in any semi-arid environment.

It's going to be a culture shock but it's a nice town if you can get used to the scenery or lack there of.

Hee hee - yes. The town names around Lubbock are exceedingly descriptive: Levelland, Plainview, Brownfield :)

But I agree - I lived there as a non-TTU student for a while - even had a gig at the UMC. It's really not THAT bad of a place to live :) Highly recommend the Market Street on Indiana as the best grocery store in town.

Back
Top Bottom