Help identifying a Scubapro 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a full second hand setup, with two scubapro 1st and 2nd stages.
The 2nd stages seem to be R109-s, which are keepers - as far as I learned
from other topics.

For the 1st stage I need some help for identification, that I can buy a maintenance kit:

143690-reg-questions-should-i-exchange-should-i-keep-new-diver-needs-advice-scpfirst.jpg
(1 High pressure, 4 Low pressure output, Scubapro)

Can I use it with 300bar and/or nitrox? (most extreme conditions I can think of)

MK5
There aren't ant yokes that are rated for 300BAR......you'll need a DIN converter for that pressure.
What pressure does it say on the yoke?
Any reg is good for 40% nitrox without any modifications.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 09:59 AM ----------

It's most likely an early 2 LP port MK5 that has had a (medium) 3000psi yoke and 4 LP port turret added on the early 80's.

Thanks! I'll check the pressure sign. I haven't seen any 300bar rental tanks
where I dive anyway. I guess 200bar/3000psi should not be an issue.

As for being a hybrid mk2 vs mk5: can I use an mk5 repair kit for it?

I don't believe that is even the 200 bar/3000 psi clamp. The earliest ones were lower pressure. Although they look alike, there is a difference in thickness and weight.

As for a DIN conversion, good luck finding one. I've been looking for years for a couple I still have in yoke. There is an aftermarket conversion sold by Trident, but it doesn't fit over the saddle.

It's not a hybrid....MK5's came with 1, 2, 4 and 5 ports......the ones with 2 ports were quite frequently converted to the multiport turret.
The fact that the body of yours has a single HP port indicates it probably has had the turret upgrade and it might well have had a stronger yoke fitted.....the fact that it is the 4 port turret makes me think it would have the Medium 3000psi yoke fitted.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 10:56 AM ----------

Personally I would look for a nicer 5 port heavy yoke MK5 with 2 7/16th HP ports to spend my time on.
Clean MK10's are a dime a dozen on eBay.....late model MK5's a little more.

That yoke appears to be the version with the 7/16 yoke screw that is marked "3000". Scubapro now recommends it be used with a maximum pressure of 2475 psi. But I am still using them on 3000 psi tanks with no problem.

The Mk25 din kit can be used on a Mk5 but it will require the use of about 2mm worth of spacer washers between the body and the din retainer. I also had to trim some plastic from the Mk25 saddle to keep it from binding the handwheel.

The fellow I bought it from used it with 200bar (=3000psi) tanks, that also speaks for a modified version. Next step is that I take it apart, that should reveal the real history of the part:)

The fellow I bought it from used it with 200bar (=3000psi) tanks, that also speaks for a modified version. Next step is that I take it apart, that should reveal the real history of the part:)

No it does not. Even the lightest yoke will often work with a 3000 psi tank. And the failure mode, should that occur, is a deformation of the yoke until it will no longer seal. The body and internals will handle the pressure. More telling is the single HP port that is 3/8 rather than 7/16 which will require an adapter for use with modern connectors. Although there are still some sources for HP hoses with 3/8 connector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom