Help identifying shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also have to say that is most likely a Mako shark. Couldn't get a good view of the length of the pectoral fins, but they appeared to be on the longer side. The Longfin Mako is generally a little larger than the Shortfin, (Also a little bit slower) so that may explain why this Mako appears to be bulkier than the lean, "athletic" build we are used to seeing in the Shortfin Mako.

I won't risk my professional reputation on this one as camera angle, water distortion, etc. can play tricks. I will say that divers have encountered makos larger than 10 ft out in Catalina waters (usually while spearfishing), although the only ones I've seen underwater were smaller.

Not sure guys I think the dorsalfin will give you the answer and when biting the propellor it has the white on the belly like a great white I think it's a great white.

---------- Post Merged at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Not sure guys I think the dorsalfin will give you the answer and when biting the propellor it has the white on the belly like a great white I think it's a great white.

Spearfisher friends of mine who know their sharks have seen makos in Catalina waters up to about 14 ft long.

Mako's......and GW's....both have a white belly. Cant go off of that.

As some one who has been casually studying Great Whites for a while, this one actually stumped me. My first initial reaction was yes it is a white shark. But then I looked a little closer. The counter shading looks right but the snout is wrong for a white shark. And then at 5:15 you can clearly see the protusive teeth, that is definitely indicative of a mako shark. Porkfried made a good guess when he said Porbeagal or Salmon but their jaw and anterior region is too compact for this shark. Plus Salmon sharks are known for colder waters where there is...salmon.

In my opinion, it is a large male (I thought I saw claspers) Mako shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom