Help....I'm new and got questions :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HunGJaI

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Well...I just wanted to say Hi to everyone...well here goes...

I'm going to be doing my class and pool back home (Toronto) then going down to Mexico to do the open water dives...

I'm going to be staying at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal from March 4 - 11. I'm just wondering what's a good store to do my open water dives with?

From what I can tell...this resort is 42KM away from PDC (so getting there might be a pain unless there are bus or some sort of cheap transportation)

Anyone can suggest any good stores around where I will be staying?

I can't WAIT :) lets hope I pass everything in Toronto before going to Mexico :D

Thanks,
HunG

There is a dive shop on site at the resort right by the beach. I did my open water certification with them and I found them to be safety minded and knowledgeable. They are called bahiadivecenter.com. There are a few more shops in the town of Akumal as well. I have no experience with these shops so I cannot offer any opinion. Good luck with your training and enjoy your trip. The resort is great. I had a great time when I was there.

Awesome,

I guess I will ask around when I get into the hotel as well.

3 more weeks :)

Doing my class and pool this wkend :dork2:

If you do decide to use bahiadive center, ask for Sebastian, Alejandro or Carlos. They all are a great bunch of guys and they will make it a fun experience for you. The diving in this area is good and I can say that you will enjoy your dives. This is based on my time there two years ago. Let me know how it went and what you thought of the diving and the resort. I will be on a 2 week cruise and will be diving Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Gran Turk, St. Thomas and Nassau. I wont be back till the end of March, so I look forward to your comments. Have a safe and wonderful time. Tell the boys Big John says hello.

Enjoy your vacation and I hope your OW is a rewarding experience. You probably won't have any free days if you are just getting certified but I will be in Playa while you are at your resort. If you do get a chance to dive in Playa send me a PM and we can meet and buddy-up with whatever shop you book with. If the resort shop is good you will probably be best served to stay with them and get as many dives in as possible. It is important to get comfortable. AND don't forget that we have some of the best wreck diving in the world right here in the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence. Don't become just a 'warm water wussy'.

Sure will...

haha, but I like warm water :)

I'm looking at some gear right now... I'm just looking for entry level stuff...nothing fancy...maybe 5 times before getting new gear...or getting more serious about this sport...

get the better stuff. snorkel,fins,mask,maybe a 3 mil wetsuit.you are not to far from akumal that has some good dive shops. good luck.

If you don't want to spend the money on decent equipment now, I would just rent. What is the point of lugging equipment down with you that is worse than what a dive shop would rent you for $10? You are going to have a blast diving in Cancun, I'll be there April 9.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom