HELP! Masks always leak!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That liquid skin was one of the worse! Thanks.... TUSA serene sounds like my next investment. Maybe that mask and much practice will solve my problems....

You'll be fine. My instructor says eveyrone gets water in thier masks...even the best of the best of people =]

Goldentouch--

If you click on the quote button at the bottom of a message to which you are replying, we will see the message to which you are replying, and we will understand it better.

I wish I could find the link to the blog where I found this advice but it worked for me. The problem with holding a mask to your face and sniffing is that many people unconsciously press too hard. The mask sticks in the test but still leaks in the water.

Hold the mask to your face or lay on your back and set the mask in place. If the temples hit first and spread out, the mask is not wide enough. If the forehead or lip and cheek hit first, the mask is too wide. The mask should, without pressure, hit evenly all around the edge without any gaps. If there is any gap it will leak, even if it seems to pass the sniff test.

I have deep smile lines and had difficulty finding a mask. Most would have a significant gap over the smile lines. I tried on every mask in the LDS and only 2 passed the above test. Of those, 1 would not seal over my mustache even after trimming. I got the single mask that worked for me (it's an Oceanic Ion 4) and I had absolutely zero leak problems in the pool or quarry. The only times I had to clear it was when I deliberately flooded. This mask fits me like it's part of my face and feels very comfortable. I had some minor leaks in salt water dives and that may have been due to beard stubble or sun screen.

I suggest that you ignore any specific brand suggestions and hit your LDS and try on every mask in the store. Find the ones that fit YOUR face and choose among them. If none fit properly, try another shop as they may carry different brands. There WILL be something that fits properly and you shouldn't have to settle.

I wish I could find the link to the blog where I found this advice but it worked for me. The problem with holding a mask to your face and sniffing is that many people unconsciously press too hard. The mask sticks in the test but still leaks in the water.

Hold the mask to your face or lay on your back and set the mask in place. If the temples hit first and spread out, the mask is not wide enough. If the forehead or lip and cheek hit first, the mask is too wide. The mask should, without pressure, hit evenly all around the edge without any gaps. If there is any gap it will leak, even if it seems to pass the sniff test.

I have deep smile lines and had difficulty finding a mask. Most would have a significant gap over the smile lines. I tried on every mask in the LDS and only 2 passed the above test. Of those, 1 would not seal over my mustache even after trimming. I got the single mask that worked for me (it's an Oceanic Ion 4) and I had absolutely zero leak problems in the pool or quarry. The only times I had to clear it was when I deliberately flooded. This mask fits me like it's part of my face and feels very comfortable. I had some minor leaks in salt water dives and that may have been due to beard stubble or sun screen.

I suggest that you ignore any specific brand suggestions and hit your LDS and try on every mask in the store. Find the ones that fit YOUR face and choose among them. If none fit properly, try another shop as they may carry different brands. There WILL be something that fits properly and you shouldn't have to settle.

Thanks....I will eventially get this right! It is my mission!!!

I have similar problems and used chap stick fix it. One application usually enough for 2 dives.
But finally I bought "Mask Leak Sealant" from which works even better and using it now.

Highly agree with the above suggestion! I thought my deep laugh lines were
going to prevent me from ever diving again.....maybe botox would have also
worked by that is kind of $$$ :D Not only do I put this gunk on the skirt
near my nose, I also give myself a small "mustache" with this stuff. I may
look ridiculous, but it allows me me to continue the sport I love! By the way,
the "gunk" is not as sticky and annoying as you might think.....after a dive and
a quick rinse, I no longer look like a :dork2:

I have a narrow face as well. In fact, I'm ashamed to say, kids sunglasses tend to fit me better. I found the ScubaPro CoolVu to work very, very well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom