Help me choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LULA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of buying a new camera, i'm not sure wich one to choose i've seen 3 models: CANON MVX4i , SONY DCR-HC90E and DCR-PC1000E. The canon has a 4 megapixel ccd, and is not the more expensive (don't know why) while the PC1000 has 2.8 megapixel and is the most expensive, why? The waters here in Portugal are a bit dark, if someone can help me i'd apreciate.

Thanks.

Good choices....as for the Canon, I have not done much with the Canon camcorders so I cannot attest to that model...however as for the HC90 and PC1000, I have a lot of experience with them. The PC1000 is my best selling video camera due to its compact size, still image capture and of course, it is a 3ccd camcorder unlike the Canon and the Hc90...the Canon and the HC90 are single CCD camcorders, thus they have a single chip capturing Red Green and Blue colors where as a 3ccd camcorder has a separate (3) chips, each dedicated to a a specific color (Red, Green, Blue). A 3ccd camcorder is going to have better color contrast and more detail than a 1ccd camcorder....

The 3ccd explains why the PC1000 is more expensive, and also why the quality of the video shot with the camera is better. As for the still image capture..remember this is a video camera..it has the capability to capture still images, but the quality is not the same as a dedicated digital still camera.

One other advantage to the PC1000 is the variety of housings available. Everything from dedicated housings (Gates, Light & Motion, Amphibico, Ikelite) to generic housings (Light & Motion, Equinox, AquaVideo, Top Dawg)...

Of the above, my highest recommendations go to the Gates PC1000 housing and the L&M Mako housing, both of which are designed camera specific.

If you have any further questions or would like to speak with me, feel free to send me an email (that will get the quickest response).

Good luck on your quest.

HOW much better is the PC1000? i ended up with a Hc90 after a repair job went bad on my old sony pc100. should i sell it and pay the difference?

Do you already have a housing for your HC90?

Does a 3CCD camera with 3 MP better than a single CCD camera with 4 MP?? Someone told me that in the 3 CCD cameras we need ajust the3 colors manualy and wasn't the best choise for a amateur (the person was no expert :D ) and by the way waht other details should i see in a camera , one more thing :banghead: :banghead: the CMOS chip is better than the CCD ?? Why??

Sorry for the ignorance, but if i don't ask i'll never know :xeye: :bonk:

H2OPhotoPro:
Do you already have a housing for your HC90?
nope.... i'd end up having to get a housing for either of them.... from other posts it seems that you CAN get to the WB on the PC1000 - haven't read anywhere that you CAN on the HC90.... so i guess i ought to consider that as well....

you can get to the white balance...but its not a true manual white balance like with the rest of the 3ccd camcorders. The Gates housings allows you access to this control. I definately recommend that camera and housing package. If you dont have have housing yet...SERIOUSLY consider it.

LOVE MY Gate(S) - i have one for both the SONY PC100 and my CANON XL1 - i guess i should write a nice letter to Santa and look into what his favourite cookies are!

thanks for the "FIRST HAND" opinions......... it's truly priceless to get the 'goods' from the front lines!

Your very welcome. let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help you with.

Sorry to jump in but are the Gates and Amphibico housings really 3 times better than the Ikelite, as thats the price difference here in the UK. Plus these housings are almost impossible to get hold of.

Back
Top Bottom