Help me decide ...original or Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok..I'm thinkin this fin sounds right for me..
I'm not yet certified. still taking classes...but my Mares avanti x-3 are not for me!! major cramps and hard to propell..

so I'm thinking warm water diving like cozumel ....maybe some current?
I've got the weak legs and calfs that cramp easy!
size 8 1/2 womens shoes.
Great deal on MARES EQUATOR 2MM LOW BOOTS from Divers-Supply.com I think these are soft sole ....they feel soft..Purchased these Mares mens size 7 ...they are a little big ...should have gotten the size 6 mens..

I consider my foot wide...I mean I can wear an 8 1/2 women sneaker...but I find that 8 Wide feels nicer...

So ...Original ....or Pro???? and what size? ML or L I think I may be able to get away with either size? "maybe"
Oh...do you have to be a Pro to wear the Pro's? I'm just a noob ..... Thanks

I'll start with size, probably ML. I don't have a ton of practice fitting them onto smaller feet, since your booties aren't particularly thick, I "think" they will be right. Hopefully Blair or Bob have more practice with it and can say more definitively.

As for Original or Pro. You don't have to be a Pro to use the Pro. While the Pro is stiffer, it has a higher top end. From what I can gather by the post that you have made, I think that the Original will be fine for you. But the Original doesn't come in Yellow, if you want to coordinate and have Yellow you'll have to go with the Pro, or...

Not to confuse your decision more, there is a third option that also comes in yellow, the Foil Force. This is a really cool fin, it is the original split fin. They are a very good fin, that is very easy to kick, with a slightly reduced kick frequency compared to the Pro/Original due to their increase in length.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I can't, just don't know enough about you and you are so new to diving that you haven't really figured out what works for you, although you have figured out what doesn't work.

all 3 are excellent fns that I am 100% sure you will have to for life. I would generally say, Original over Pro for you, and put the Foil somewhere in the middle.

Oh ya, please remember to get them with Bungie Heel Straps. The bungies are the only way to go

I would go with an Original size Large with a comfort instep. You have a wide foot and in most cases women have a high arch so Large with a comfort instep is the right place to start. It will depend on how wide and how high of an arch you have. Just yesterday Bob and I fitted a women with a size 7.5 foot using a boot with a very thick sole (much differnt from the boot you are using) into a XXL with a comfort instep.

I know Midland is along way away , but there is Family Scuba out there and they have Force Fins you could try and they have a really cool dive site out there as well. Family Scuba Center, Inc. > Home

If you buy from Force Fin you have 30 days to dive, swim and try them out and can still send them back for a different size if needed. I think with your boot and foot size an Original forcefindive_product
Large with Comfort Instep instep_product
is the Force Fin set up for you.

Thanks.. I don't think I have high arches....I think I more of a flat feet ..it feels good to wear shoes with a nice arch like my Dansko chef clogs...I'm not sure now....its between L - ML

Why do I need the instep if I'm going to wear booties? I'm not going barefoot? Oh...Midland is about 4 hour drive....I wish they had fin guys in Dallas...
thanks

I would go with a Large with a comfort insert because the insert will take up any space that you might have due to your foot being toe wide or arch wide.

You are a wide so I would would choose a Large and again the Comfort instep will ensure a snug fit and will take up any space you might have from the narrower parts of your foot!

I I know Killeen is also not very close, but C & J Divers http://www.cjdivers.com/default.asp also carries Force Fins - I know it might even be a longer drive than midland, but I thought I would mention it.

Hope this helps with your sizing question! Good luck in your class and have fun!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom