Help Me Justify An Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverjim3483

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Currently, I have a Sony W7 P&S with the Sony housing and no strobe. Its basically a close-up camera using the built-in strobe with a success ratio of about 1 in 8 pictures being keepers.

We are taking a big trip this year and I want to upgrade to a better camera setup. Except for a huge increase in megapixels, what else will I gain with this upgrade?

I'm looking at both Sea & Sea DX1200 HD and the G10 with Canon housing.

I assume I can use the same strobe, tray and arms with either camera....probably the Sea&Sea 27DX.

But from here, I'm lost as far as which of the two cameras I should go with.

I'd like to know what types of shots I can take with both units without the expense of additional lenses. Also, which lenses you would suggest I get.

I want to be able to take closeups and macro on this trip....with an occasional WA shot now and then.

I don't want much, do I??? :rofl3:

Your help and guideance is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Well, the W7 doesn't have a particularly wide lens (it ain't wide at all ... ) but it does have manual controls and plenty of pixels. I don't think an upgrade in cameras is going to gain you much.

I think if you have money burning your pockets you should consider buying a nice pair of strobes for the current rig, and maybe a wide-angle wet lens if you can get an adapter for the OEM housing. Inon strobes are great, and worth the extra $$, IMHO. The results will be more satisfying than a whole new camera and a cheap strobe.

You hit upon one of my main beefs with this setup.....the housing does not have many options. It had a red filter kit option and that's about it and I didn't get it. You're right, the camera itself is a great little camera with some of the basic features needed for u/w pics. But the housing sucks. It would work OK for closeups, but not so good for WA and less than mediocre for macro without a strobe.:shakehead:

Thanks for the input.

Since the original question was about upgrading, I would strongly recommend the G10 UNLESS you are not going to use the camera anywhere else besides underwater. Raw, great lens, good ergonomics, great quality. If you are only going to shoot UW and not at all topside then the S&S is a valid option but if you are going to shoot topside and UW then the G10 is what I would recommend. The president of the LAUPS (Los Angeles Underwater Photo Society) normally shoots full frame SLRs and just got a G10. She loves it and will take it (along with her SLR) in the Canon housing for all her dives.

Bill

I'm curious what about the housing is bad? THIS ACCESSORY lets you use wet mount lenses on it ... that get's you wide angle and macro. The Inon strobes would work perfectly either manually or using s-TTL for complete automation. There's not much more a new camera can offer. (In fact, the G10 would have LESS capacity for wide-angle because it can't use accessory lenses at all!)

Mickey,

Thanks for the information. I was not aware Inon had made such an accessory for the MPK-WA housing. I did some research on this accessory and as a result of not finding it listed on their website for purchase, I sent them an email asking if it is still available. Which leads me to another issue. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with spending $1,400 on accessories for this camera when I could be spending a little more and get a whole new rig that has 50%+ better resolution. I know, I can always use the accessories with another camera/housing.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I agree with the idea that good strobes will do more than more resolution to give you better pictures. The good strobes will also go nicely with whatever rig you eventually decide to upgrade to. I use a G9 with Ikelite 125 strobes and have been very happy with my pictures Mel Moncrieff's Photo Galleries at pbase.com The pics from Fiji, Turks and Caicos and Bonaire were shot with the G9--the ones from Roatan were with a smaller point and shoot, but with a good strobe (Sea and Sea YS 110). Hope this helps.

Mel

My whole focus (pun partially intended) now is one the MPK-WA housing. I have looked high and low and have posted in the general photography section of this board looking for the Inon adapter that would give me a great deal of flexibility for lens and strobes. If I can't find the Inon AD Mount for this housing then I will be stuck with the camera less than wide-angle capabilities. That will, in turn, necessitate a larger expenditure for a stronger strobe with greater reach. In addition, my macro will be limited by the camera's own minimum focus distance.

Good thing I have until October before my trip to North Sulawesi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom