Help me pick a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I plan to get my ow this march. I want to pick up the gear to dive so i can dive localy. Plus alot of it i will need to buy due to my size.
I have been looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10 Regulator (Delta IV).
i plan to dive some salt water in florida mostly for the first year or so mabe caymen or some other islands that cruise ships go to.
I will also dive local in indiana freshwater. For my first year or properly two i will stay above 60 i hope next summer or the early part of 2011 get my aow and dive down to 130. I do not plan to dive with temps lower then 60 diving in freezing temps is not something i see my sef doing any time soon.
My budget for the regulator is around 550 i coudl go up to 600. Maybe alittle more if my budget works out the way i hope. What woudl you recommend in that range. I also plan to pick up a octo. Maybe a computer in my budget works out in time for the march trip if not i will get a gauge to get me through till next year any idea on those two aswell. I have seen gauges for around 250 and octos for around 100 so those prices ranges are what i would like to spend on that stuff.

Hi Bigtim,

I know you say you dont plan on going below 60 degrees, but if you're going to be diving in local quarries or in the great lakes, you dont have much choice over that.

As for your budget, are you referring to just the first and second stage? Or a full regulator package? The delta 4 is a nice reg, and I've had the opportunity to try one out. But I honestly didn't find it really any better than my Oceanic GT3/CDX5 that I use on my single tank regs. My personal favourite reg for the money is the Zeagle ZX-DSV, which can be had for about $360, and can handle as cold a water as you can throw at it. Zeagle also makes the Envoy Deluxe, which is the same as the DSV but without the environmental seal for cold water. I believe it can be had for a little over $300.

You live where there is cold water so you may as well get a cold water reg that will do well in warm water to.
Scubapro MK17/S555
Oceanic GT3/CDX5
Oceanic EOS
the oceanic Gt3 is a enviro sealed reg like the other two but cost half as much.
i have a GT3 and a scuba pro mk11 .
Mk11 is the same reg as MK17 the dif is that the MK11 is not enviro sealed.
However it is a Diaphram reg and for the most part diaphram regs working parts are all sealed .
So the MK11 would also be a good cold water reg for less money then theMK17

I plan to get my ow this march. I want to pick up the gear to dive so i can dive localy. Plus alot of it i will need to buy due to my size.
I have been looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10 Regulator (Delta IV).
i plan to dive some salt water in florida mostly for the first year or so mabe caymen or some other islands that cruise ships go to.
I will also dive local in indiana freshwater. For my first year or properly two i will stay above 60 i hope next summer or the early part of 2011 get my aow and dive down to 130. I do not plan to dive with temps lower then 60 diving in freezing temps is not something i see my sef doing any time soon.
My budget for the regulator is around 550 i coudl go up to 600. Maybe alittle more if my budget works out the way i hope. What woudl you recommend in that range. I also plan to pick up a octo. Maybe a computer in my budget works out in time for the march trip if not i will get a gauge to get me through till next year any idea on those two aswell. I have seen gauges for around 250 and octos for around 100 so those prices ranges are what i would like to spend on that stuff.

Atomic B2 my best seller. Out breathes and out performs other regs. Superior features found on no other regs, including titanium second stage impervious to salt water corrosion second stage swivel, automatic flow control, and seat saving orifice.
Good luck in your research, compare them all to the Atomic and you will always find yourself leaning towards the Atomic.
Atomic Aquatics - the World's First Titanium Regulator
Larry

Hey Bigtim,

Looks like you are doing your homework before making your purchases. For the most part, your regulator choice will be narrowed down to what you can get serviced.

Personally I dive an Atomics M1 and Z2 for tech diving, a Diverite 2500 for a stage, and an SP MK2 for deco. When I dive recreation, I use an inexpensive Oceanic ?? that I bought 7 years ago. All of my regs breathe great, and I am comfortable in taking the Oceanic to 120 feet. My 3 tech buddies (and one rec buddy) use SP MK25s, DR 2500s ,and SP MK2s; and my daughter uses an Aqualung Micra and a DR 2500. All of these regs perform great. One key to regs is to service them at the recommended intervals and rinse them after use.

Some comments on other posts. Take a good look at the BP/Wing for your BC. As others have said, with any changes in weight, it only takes a few strap adjustments to fit your new body. Also, you will not have any clutter on your chest as everything is on your back. I have a BC in storage that does not fit me because of weight loss. Also, as you dive in different environments, you can make adjustments with minimal costs. I have steel and aluminum BPs and a single and a doubles wing. As I can mix and match, these cover me for all dives that I do. The other advantage is that you can put D-rings where you want them for equipment needs and not have to use the manufacturers placement. If you are fairly flexible, go with a one piece harness. If you are not as flexible as you once were, consider a quick release harness.

Regarding fins, I would suggest the standard fin over the split fin. They are less expensive. While some tests say the split fins are faster, I have never viewed SCUBA as a speed sport. The slower the better and less air used which means more botom time.

If you get a computer, consider a nitrox computer because if you continue diving, you will take this course. In fact, if you can take Nitrox with OW, do so. Depending on your future training, you may even want a two gas computer. While that training may be several years down the road, a purchase now would save you the purchase of a new computer at that time.

With all the research you are doing, you may want to take a look at some of the DIR posts for equipment needs, set-ups, etc. While many tech divers use DIR, there is nothing wrong with a new diver considering these concepts.

Regardless of your choices, i would suggest not making any purchases (if possible) until after you have had a chance to test various equipment during your class and your checkout dives. Also, prepare to spend much more money on equipment than you anticipated :D

Just to add to your information overload:
-I have had good experience with Oceanic cold water regs regardless of designation. I currently own two. They have great reliability and easy breathing. Service has been available and high quality.

-I've also had great experience with my DiveRite 2500 and 3500 regs. I currently own one 2500 and two 3500 regs. These are the easiest breathing most reliable regs I'm aware of.

-I've had disasterous experience with Atomic M1 regs. I've had 4, all of which had serious problems. They came highly touted. My experience was that they were unreliable. Needless to say I no longer own them. To the dealer's credit they were exchanged for other regs.

-Some of my friends like Zeagle, Apeks and OMS. But, I personally have never used these brands except for training. They worked fine for training but I prefered what I ended up with.

Best advice: Pick a cold water sealed regulator brand and model you like and you can afford. Dive with it. See how you like it. If you do buy two identical regs, one for primary the other for backup/secondary.

........... Salvo,,Dive Rite,,Oceanic,,Mares.

-I've had disasterous experience with Atomic M1 regs. I've had 4, all of which had serious problems. They came highly touted. My experience was that they were unreliable. Needless to say I no longer own them. To the dealer's credit they were exchanged for other regs.

Can you tell me your issues. Mine has been a good reg for tech and cave diving - nothing less than 68 degrees. Just want ti know if I should watch out for something. Thanks

Hey Bigtim,
As others have indicated, you will be in cold water due to your location so you might as well be prepared for it right off the bat. I breathe from a Poseidon Odin and it's been very reliable. It seems the deeper you go, the better it breathes. It should meet all your needs both current and future. I also ice-dive with this reg and have never had a a free-flow. I've been told that this reg is also used by our Navy and some special forces. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

WW

9 posts and not one mention of Apeks regulators....what is happening to this world? The operation and look of regulators prefered by tech divers is similar to the recreational diver counter-part but with some marked preferences. Due to the deep depths involved and the colder water Tech divers prefer to dive with balanced diaphram type-environmentally sealed regulators. These are usually more expensive than conventional piston operated regulators but they are much less likely to free-flow. Having a balanced regulator, allows the diver to breathe more easily at depth with the ambient pressure kept fully balanced throughout. The 1st Stages should be DIN-type. These allow more pressure (300+ bar) and are much more secure than yoke type. Get yourself an Apeks XTX 50 and and enjoy your diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom