Help me understand underwater communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,
I'm an Industrial Design Student from Pasadena, California, and I'm working on a project based on underwater communication/data recording.

I'm looking to get a better understanding on what scuba divers like and dislike about their current equipment and it's functionality underwater. I'll be happy to hear your feedback on the current equipment.

If you could invent something to help you out/make scuba diving safer/more enjoyable what would it be and how would it work?

Thanks,

Design Student

I recall a fairly recent thread about this very subject.... something like "if they made it would you buy it..." I'll see if I can dig up the link

R..

found it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ons/275162-if-they-only-made-i-would-buy.html

Pitch your voice down to match the reg's diaphragm resonance better, then talk as distinctly as possible with that thing in our mouth. Your words will be altered, but altered consistently. It takes a bit of time to develop the "ear" to hear it, but regulator is just another English accent. Treat it as an Okie, or New York, or even Jamaican accent. For the central US types it's easier to understand regulator than Bostonian or Mainers.

Coldwater_Canuck:
That would just result in me inhaling water and no one hearing anything: a good exercise in how not to communicate.

I didn't tell you to take your regulator out of your mouth. Talk with it in. Fred is correct, you have to learn to understand the accent.

And it helps if you get close to their ear so you don't have to scream it. Talk slowly, articulate as best you can, don't run words together and lower your voice. To get a feeling for the right pitch to shoot for try singing. You'll soon realise that some tones carry better than others.

R..

Hmm, communication device...

OK, how about a device to signal the fricking boat that is about to run my arse over to stay atleast 300' away from my dive flag. And if the boat kept on getting closer then the 50 caliber machine gun mounted on the said device start barking at that dang boat!!!!. :eyebrow:

htn123:
OK, how about a device to signal the fricking boat that is about to run my arse over to stay atleast 300' away from my dive flag.

That is the dive flag.

That is the dive flag.

LOL

When I learned to dive my instructor told us that if we were inclined to use a dive flag we should set it up well away from where we were actually diving because a dive flag is a boat magnet. :)

It's probably bad advice but still.... you have to wonder.

R..

Back
Top Bottom