Help, need advice!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaimeR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Today, we (my husband and I) had our first confined water class, he of course took to it like he's been doing it forever. Me on the other hand, did not do so good. Clearing the mask, not so good, taking it off, was better because I kept my eyes closed. Switching from my reg to the snorkle while swimming in the deep end, not so good, got a big nose full of air.I didn't have any real problems except with hovering (not being able) in the deep end (????) vs the shallow water stuff. I felt pretty panicked. Is this normal???? I really want to do this but am not sure how well I am doing. Is it normal to feel this way? we have been snorkeling in the pool for months , and had really no problems with that.
Tomorrow is our last pool session and I am a little freaked out!!!!

Jaime

Sounds to me what you are dealing with is completely normal. Some people take to diving like a fish to water, some have to work on developing their gills first. Doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about. Just relax, it will all come to you with time, patience, and practice.

JaimeR:
Today, we (my husband and I) had our first confined water class........ Tomorrow is our last pool session and I am a little freaked out!!!!

Jaime

We all learn and assimilate information at different rates. IMHO there is not enough time in this particular scenario for you to learn what you need to know. You need more time to practice to competency. Taking the time now to get it(the skills) right will make you much more comfortable and relaxed underwater. That will make your diving much more enjoyable--especially the bouyancy control.

JaimeR:
Today, we (my husband and I) had our first confined water class, he of course took to it like he's been doing it forever. Me on the other hand, did not do so good. Clearing the mask, not so good, taking it off, was better because I kept my eyes closed. Switching from my reg to the snorkle while swimming in the deep end, not so good, got a big nose full of air.I didn't have any real problems except with hovering (not being able) in the deep end (????) vs the shallow water stuff. I felt pretty panicked. Is this normal???? I really want to do this but am not sure how well I am doing. Is it normal to feel this way? we have been snorkeling in the pool for months , and had really no problems with that.

Jaime

Do you have time before your open-water dives to schedule an extra practice session or two in the pool? I was quite uncomfortable after my first pool session, and I felt extra pressure because I felt like everyone was watching me screw up. I found a time to get in the pool outside of class time, and just being able to really take my time and practice the skills at my own pace made a HUGE difference in my confidence. I'm so glad I pressed on when I was tempted to quit.

And you are not abnormal in your anxiety!! Be sure to tell your instructor about what you are nervous about -- he/she should be able and willing to help you work through it. You are going to be so proud of yourself once you get more comfortable with the skills.

[doing it forever. Me on the other hand, did not do so good. Clearing the mask, not so good, taking it off, was better because I kept my eyes closed. Switching from my reg to the snorkle while swimming in the deep end, not so good, got a big nose full of air.I didn't have any real pQUOTE=JaimeR]Today, we (my husband and I) had our first confined water class, he of course took to it like he's been roblems except with hovering (not being able) in the deep end (????) vs the shallow water stuff. I felt pretty panicked. Is this normal???? I really want to do this but am not sure how well I am doing. Is it normal to feel this way? we have been snorkeling in the pool for months , and had really no problems with that.

Jaime[/QUOTE]
dont worry about it ,just keep at it --it gets easier as you get used to breathing underwater-trust me

Hi all,

Just a quick note on Jaime, my wife.

We finished the pool session/classroom stuff today and Jaime did fantastic!

She was very apprehensive about the class today because she had a few (normal) difficulties yesterday.

She got through it like a pro, I’m so proud of her! She was even talking about AOW on the way home!

Next stop- San Carlos, Mexico for our cert dives.

Darin

My wife and I took class at the same time and it was a lot of the same situation. I was more comfortable and was able to develope the basic skills much more quickly. Since that time she has taken more and more classes and in many ways a much better diver than I am. Keep plugging along Jamie, your skills and comfort will be there before you know it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom