Help Needed With Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK I am a newly certified diver with just my 4 open water dives.

I am heading to Cancun and Cozumel for 17 days. I want to do some diving while there. My instructor advised me to rent a regulator from here at a LDS rather than use rental gear down there. LDS wants $25 for the first day and $15 each additional day. BIG BUCKS!

OK so I start looking at purchasing a regulator and and still even more confused and wanting to know how to do it best.

Do I rent from LDS or the Mexican dive shops? Do I just bite the bullet and buy gear to start with? What about a good dive computer?

Help!

Grover

OK I am a newly certified diver with just my 4 open water dives.

I am heading to Cancun and Cozumel for 17 days. I want to do some diving while there. My instructor advised me to rent a regulator from here at a LDS rather than use rental gear down there. LDS wants $25 for the first day and $15 each additional day. BIG BUCKS!

OK so I start looking at purchasing a regulator and and still even more confused and wanting to know how to do it best.

Do I rent from LDS or the Mexican dive shops? Do I just bite the bullet and buy gear to start with? What about a good dive computer?

Help!Grover

Your help is here....Why not BUY one now..looks like you're getting ready to throw about $200 or more AWAY on renting....There are probably many good used ones to buy out there @ that price or slightly more.......It is better to own than rent---in almost anything.......DO NOT rent is my suggestion----for that length of time, no way....

Buy a good new reg set now. Do not waste your money on renting (it's going to cost you the same). Buy something a lttle bit more upmarket than you really need. Stick to the major brands that have nationwide and worldwide service available. Get a DIN connection on the first stage. Take good care of it and make sure it doesn't get stolen in Mexico.

I would agree with buying, considerting the rental rates. I don't know what brands your LDS stocks, so my recommendations may be superfluous. But, ...

If you purchase a good mid-range regulator, it will provide long service and your investment will be returned many times.

I would agree with the idea with buying the regulator. I disagree with the DIN connection. Yoke is more common in Mexico. It can be adapted later if there is some compelling reason.

Buy your own reg! Yoke is common and what you'll need until you have many more dives logged.
If you will be diving cold water or deep you'll want to look at regs that are rated for that environment. Otherwise your do well with any of the major manufacturers basic offering but my suggestion would be to get the best you can afford and you won't feel the need to upgrade later.

I would agree with the idea with buying the regulator. I disagree with the DIN connection. Yoke is more common in Mexico. It can be adapted later if there is some compelling reason.
The only adaptation he's going to need is stick an Allen key in the valve and unscrew the yoke piece. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds. On day two they'll know he's DIN and have his tank already prepared.It's easier and cheaper to "adapt" the valve then have to go spend 50/60 dollars on a yoke/DIN converter later.

Most rental tanks aren't on DIN and most recreational divers aren't on DIN. Unless you plan to be purchasing HP tanks anytime soon, go with yoke. If the OP plans to mostly be an occasional vacation diver he might want to look at something like the Mares Rebel, otherwise he should consider something higher end.

The only adaptation he's going to need is stick an Allen key in the valve and unscrew the yoke piece. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds. On day two they'll know he's DIN and have his tank already prepared.It's easier and cheaper to "adapt" the valve then have to go spend 50/60 dollars on a yoke/DIN converter later.

Most rental tanks in the Caribbean do not have Thermo Pro valves that allow you unscrew the center portion of the valve to make it into a DIN valve.

For sure you should buy a reg and a computer if you can afford it. They will pay for themselves before you know it and you also are assured of the condition of it. As for used equipment, take it to your dive shop and get it checked out before you buy, if the seller will let you. Like other posters have said, stick with the major names, ie: Suunto, Aries, Sherwood, Atomic. And buy a step or two above what you think you need, it will save you from upgrading in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom