HELP: NYEPI DAY (QUIET DAY) Bali airport closed, but I already booked my flights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, she will be liable ... we have ATOL cover in the UK anyway so I am covered by that

If your agent is so certain, I would think she would be willing to credit you the "mega $$" that it may cost to re-book you if she's wrong ... just saying.

Not allowed to go outside?! 3 million people in Bali and no one can go outside?! Amazing...
It IS amazing Shasta man, all you can hear are dogs barking, the birds and the waves, its beautiful. Here's a quick explanation which we give our guests:

Travelers to Bali will have a great opportunity to sense a unique and magical atmosphere when Balinese Hindus celebrate New Year Eve, known locally as Nyepi. The Nyepi Holiday Icaka New Year will fall on March 23, 2012.

The Nyepi Day is the day of absolute silence throughout the island when no activity is done, no traffic is seen anywhere, no fire is lit and no amusement held along the day. For the Balinese Hindus, the Nyepi Day is the day of self - introspection for Hindu followers, when the entire island looks like being deserted. The observance will start before sunset on March 22, 2012 and will last until sunrise on March 24, 2012.

When the event takes place, Bali will be the only place where people are ignoring any activities the whole day. All of the flights at the International Ngurah Rai Airport, the harbor and other kinds of transportation are closed all day long. Lights in public areas, corridors and balconies will be switched off. All recreational spots will be temporarily closed. Therefore, it would be advisable for domestic and foreign visitors to stay at their own hotels.
The daily grind all over the Island is stopped all day long. Nobody is allowed to go out of their house, except for men in black 'Pecalang', who are the traditional security units (village police) in charge of keeping Bali in order during the silent day celebration.

All business enterprises, academic matters, government offices and other public services will be temporarily closed, except for some hotels that are only allowed to hold inbound activities, with no lights or noises, and the guests will be asked to stay inside their hotel rooms. No one is allowed onto the beaches or streets or to use the swimming pool. Should you need food or anything to buy, do it on the previous day, because on Nyepi Day all shops will not open. Since all activities throughout the island are stopped during the Nyepi Day, put your plans before or after this day. Activities in emergency rooms and maternity section of hospitals will be allowed. Any emergencies will be taken into consideration and tolerated.

Nyepi is derived from the word 'sepi' that means silent. As a religious event of Balinese Hindus, Nyepi is a symbolical replay of these philosophical principles. The world is 'clean' in the beginning of the year. The Balinese Hindus do not celebrate the New Year with lavish party instead they celebrate the coming of the New Year with meditation and silence.

All Hindu followers will be obliged to do the Catur Brata Penyepian (four ways of realization the Nyepi Day). There should not be fire (amati geni) nor works or activities to do (amati karya). They won't be allowed to have fun (amati lelanguan) nor to travel (amati lelungan). These prohibitions are aimed at controlling oneself and submission to God. Everybody has to stay in the individual houses. No lights in the house, no sounds of radio and no works, just keep silent. It is totally silence. The anti-climax of the meditation will be held the following day. It is called Ngembak Geni, where the people are happy and blessed for their success of controlling themselves. It is also the day of get-togetherness and family gathering.

I joked that it would be lovely to have Nyepi in London, and then I remembered ...

Living just out side London years ago during the funeral of Princess Diana
I went out on my bike and there was a deadly silence all over town

Not allowed to go outside?! 3 million people in Bali and no one can go outside?! Amazing...

This would indeed be quiet an experience. I was going to book a quick trip to Bali earlier this year to dive Tulamben but it coincided with Nyepi day and instead of 2 days diving I would have only got 1. So I didnt make it. Im wondering how come if this is a Hindu ritual its not observed in India which is predominantly Hindu. Imagine a quiet day for 1 Billion + Indians!:grinbandit:

This day is a big win for all underwater life around Bali which really gets a true 'silent' day.

Not sure how many Balinese Hindus there are in India

Having travelled to India on many occassions, I don't think there are that many

This would indeed be quiet an experience. I was going to book a quick trip to Bali earlier this year to dive Tulamben but it coincided with Nyepi day and instead of 2 days diving I would have only got 1. So I didnt make it. Im wondering how come if this is a Hindu ritual its not observed in India which is predominantly Hindu. Imagine a quiet day for 1 Billion + Indians!:grinbandit:

This day is a big win for all underwater life around Bali which really gets a true 'silent' day.

As a Hindu Punjabi myself I'm getting quite interested in this, so assuming I can change my international flights from Jakarta, I may well be in Bali on March 22nd
pre-Nyepi day

I've done the usual googling + youtubing and I'd like to see the Ngerupuk celebrations on March 22nd
Is there a place you can recommend to be the best place to make the most of this once in a life time experience, for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom