Help olympus C4000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwickert

Reaction score
Hi,
About 6 months ago I lost my Olympus 3040, and pt-10 housing in the Bahamas.

(However, if you must lose a camera, Blackbeard's and the Bahama's make it much easier to deal with, I still had an awesome time! :boings: )

I am finally looking to replace the camera and housing. Walmart has the Olympus c4000 for $347. Which seems like a great price from a reputable company, however the avalibility of the pt-10 concerns me a bit.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts before I make the leap.

Thanks
Ken

I think they're getting hard to find. None on eBay at the moment. You might want to consider upgrading. Just a thought. The 5050 (although itself discontinued) is around $535 and pt-015 $135 at newegg.

kwickert:
Hi,
Walmart has the Olympus c4000 for $347.

I know it's the nature of the game but it makes me wanna cry when I hear stuff like this. I paid $500 not so many moons ago.

Yep,

I guess I just need to be patient. :greenange

I have been looking at the 5050 and housing at new egg (per Dee) sometimes it's in stock, sometimes not. Hopefully when the time comes it'll be there.

Someone on the board posted a froogle link as well, which is really cool. I use google for almost everything , but never noticed it before. Once again, thank you scuba board! :hug2:

Ken

Perhaps if I had put my name in the housing as you suggest, it would have been at least possible to get the housing and camera back.

I am still debating, if I bought the camera today, I won't be able to get the housing until next month, and would be sort of taking a chance on it still being available. I really did love my 3040 and pt 10. I am also wondering what the shipping might be from Japan to Virginia?

Ken

The shipping is fairly cheap, likely under $30. as it's the same to anyplace in the USA. The dilema is more about getting the 5050 and PT-015 than a C4000 and another PT-010. It would't pay at all to get another 3040 even if they were available as the C4000 is cheap, especially refurbs. I paid under $300. for a C4000 refurb.
So you are looking at around $500 to 550 incl. shipping (if both were mail ordered) versus maybe 700 for a 5050 and PT-015 (incl shipping), or less.
Sounds like the 5050 is a better way to go, especially if you can find a refurb with the Oly USA 90 day warranty, which most have if they are legit US models.
Both my 2040 and 4000 are refurbs and gave me no problems. I guess because I use my cameras more for diving than land my logic is to use the lesser priced camera in the housing so as to minimize my loss should the housing flood. I don't bother with insurance on a $300 camera. It's just not worth it to me.

There are a bunch of 5050s on eBay at the Olympus Store. I even saw a pt-015 being sold by Oly because the box was torn. There are also several other almost new housings being sold by individuals when I checked this morning. I think the 5050s have been going for about $400 or so, but I not certain.
TedJ

I got my PT-010 from Seashooters in Florida. They occasionally offer these on eBay at $189, but the website shows $225. They are not cheap, but shipping is fast. They also have the PT-020 housing for the 5060:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sheila58/olympusu-w.asp

New Egg is the best source for the PT-015 when they have stock ($134 free ship), but as a backup consider Olympus on eBay, they sell refurbs at $139 plus ship.

As much as I like the thought of upgrading, basically for what I originally payed for the pt-10 and 3040, I agree with Gilligan, especially after losing one. :happywave lol

I found some refurbs c 4000's on amazon for around $250, and am pretty sure that's how I will go, making sure I can get the pt-10 first.

Most sites in the U.S. seem to be around $225 or better for the pt-10, so hopefully Yuzo will still have em next month.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom