Help...Please...Looking at going to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I am at a total loss. There are four of us that are looking to head to Hawaii at the end of April to do some diving...but we have NO CLUE where to look. I saw an add in Sport Diver for a Stay and Play on two islands for $1400.00 per person. That seems totally reasonable to us, but need some feed back. Have never been to Hawaii...always seem to head to Mexico/Bahamas and need to step out of the box and try something new.

Any help and/or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

So, I am at a total loss. There are four of us that are looking to head to Hawaii at the end of April to do some diving...but we have NO CLUE where to look. I saw an add in Sport Diver for a Stay and Play on two islands for $1400.00 per person. That seems totally reasonable to us, but need some feed back. Have never been to Hawaii...always seem to head to Mexico/Bahamas and need to step out of the box and try something new.

Any help and/or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Suggest start with what island.

That's one of the problems...we are not sure. I have been reading that Kona is a good place to go...or Maui?

I'd recommend picking one island, unless you are planning a 2-3 week trip.

The reason is the flying between islands will limit dive days, and does not allow enough time to really see enough "topside" attractions on the island you are visiting.

If you choose the Big Island, diving in Kona is great. Maui is also great. I live on the Big Island so I'm biased, but I've also enjoyed the diving I've done on Maui. Choosing between the two will be the hard part :D

Once you've made that decision, you can get more help from the ohana :D

It all depends on what your trip plans entail and what you expect from Hawaii.

For me, if diving is the #1 goal and I don't care much about anything else, Kona anytime or Kauai in the late spring, early summer. I have never dived off Maui so I can offer no advise there.

If topside attractions are the priority, Oahu offers the most diversion and they have some great museums.

I really like the laid back atmosphere of Kauai. No pressure, just great diving and terrific people. Diving Niihau is world class and is some of the best diving in all of the islands.

Kona has the mantas. Again, world class but the topside activities are limited.

One way or the other, rent a condo for your group and two separate cars. You will want to explore on your own anyway.

Also look at Kauai. I've dove on Oahu, Kona and Kauai. I really liked the diving and also really enjoyed the laid back feel to the Garden Isle.

If you want laid back atmosphere and still some shopping, night life or day time activities, go Maui. Diving is best in the summer. I was just there in December and even the best location at the Molokini atol was a bit murky. The swell is out of the south in summer and you can do more shore diving.

Kauai is a little more rural than Maui and there are no big hotels there. But, everything is slower so you will not have night life or a lot of shopping. Diving is good. Cold in the winter months because it is further north. Dive charters are a bit more primative too.

The best diving I have seen is in the summer months. There seems to be more plankton in the winter months and a lot more run off from rain that silts up the shore diving.

I have seen cheeper deals for five night and airfare, but that would be out of Los Angeles.

Don't forget diving the rivers can be a great experience as well, Hilo- Wailuku R., Maui Seven Sacred Pools in Hana and many other places. Those areas prove to show unique indegineous life as well, such as fresh water prawn, and other fish.

Don't forget diving the rivers can be a great experience as well, Hilo- Wailuku R., Maui Seven Sacred Pools in Hana and many other places. Those areas prove to show unique indegineous life as well, such as fresh water prawn, and other fish.

Did you mean to say swimming in the Wailuku river (and Seven Sacred Pools)?

Or scuba?

Please take the following not as a negative comment, but just as "local knowledge":

I grew up in Hilo with the Wailuku river 100 yards behind my house, and spent long hours as a teen and young adult swimming and exploring it. The Wailuku has claimed dozens of drowning victims just in my lifetime, many of them very strong swimmers. My standard advice to anyone unfamiliar with this river is heed the warning signs and STAY OUT. There are lava tubes that drain some of the pools, and that is typically where swimmers are caught and drowned, often after being swept over low waterfalls. Access is not easy, and in most places involves walking down narrow, rocky, slippery trails. Not advised with scuba equipment.

Can you scuba dive in the larger sections? Yes. Is there anything worthwhile to "see"? Well, there are freshwater prawns. You do not need scuba to see these.

Save scuba for the ocean. Swim at Seven Sacred Pools. Look and take pictures of the Wailuku River at Rainbow Falls or "Boiling Pots". But as far as swimming and scuba: this is a river that "locals only" is a good rule to live by.

Thank you everyone for your responses! So, we have narrowed it down to Kona...have to do the Manta Ray dive! Now, my question is has anyone worked with Bottom Time? I have sent an email and left a voicemail with them and have not received an email or phone call in return. Does anyone have any other recommendations for dive ops in the area?

Thanks, again, for all your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom